cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 Restore hangs at 70-90%

FPLStuff
Level 2

I have a trial version of BESR Server Edition 2010, which I'm using on an HP Proliant DL360 G7 that was running Windows Server 2008 R2. 

After making a bunch of recovery points, and as this was a test server, I decided to risk a full restore.  Created a custom SRD, and attempted a half dozen restores of images that were about 20GB, none of which completed.  They all hung somewhere in the 70%-90% complete range (seems to depend on whether or not I verify the image before the restore).  When I chose to verify the images, they apparently verified just fine.

I tried various restores both from a remote share, and from an attached external USB hard drive - no difference.

After giving up on each restores (for example, after it reached 70% and stayed that way overnight), clicking the Cancel button gives me an hourglass and does not return control - I need to manually power down the server.

I noticed that after these partial restores, the OS seems to mostly be intact, but obviously it would be foolish to trust the result.  On one occasion the system came up fine, but would not successfully start BESR, for example.

Ordinarily I'd assume that some missing driver was at fault, but I can't fathom what would explain how the restore process can get so far through but then stop.

I ran wireshark while the restore was the "hung" state...not sure this is helpful or if I'm interpreting it correctly, but it appeared that the only network traffic initiated by the server to the PC hosting the remote share were requests to open the .v2i file, then a file info query, followed by a request to close the file.  Over and over again.

Any hints or suggestions?

Alan

2 REPLIES 2

RRE
Level 6

Hi there,

SP2 for BESR 2010 is already available. So you may consider to update to SP2 before applying any workaround. Please run Live Updates to install SP2

Please refer the following document & see if it helps

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70986

FPLStuff
Level 2

If SP2 is available, I'm not sure why I didn't receive it when I downloaded the trial a few days ago.  And I'm using DHCP; there is no problem with network connectivity.  The restore process continues merrily, then just stops near the end.

There should be no reason that the version I'm using shouldn't work.  My hardware works, I'm restoring with the identical hardware and configurate that I had when I backed up the system.  The restore points have been verified.

Frankly, it's inexcusable that I found myself in this situation. Backup/restore programs should be virtually bullet-proof.  If I were writing software for a recovery CD, I'd make sure that the application was robust enough to detect when it wasn't making progress, retry upon failure, provide suitable error information, and I'd make sure that at the very least it returned control to the user for examining log files or other debugging purposes.  But what's truly mind-boggling is simply that I took full system backups that I'm powerless to restore.

Fortunately, before I tried this experiment, I also took a full system backup with another product (my backup backup solution), just in case I had a problem with BESR.  It cost only $40, and produced smaller backup files than BESR did.  And it just successfully restored my system with no trouble.  It also uses a WinPE2 recovery environment.

I'll keep BESR installed for the time being in case someone has an answer to this problem...but if not, I'll be uninstalling.