cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 7 truncating SQL and Exchange Transaction Logs

Feral
Level 2

Hi,

I am using BESR to backup a test SQL server and I have noticed that the transaction log files are not being truncated after the BESR job has taken an image.

Can someone tell me if BESR 7 is able to truncate SQL 2000/2005 and Exchange 2003 transaction logs and if so how?

Many thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David_Hood
Level 4
Partner Accredited

i'm pretty sure it cant, as BESR doesn't backup exchange using the traditional exchange backup APIs.

What we do to get around this is to create an NT backup job of just exchange and put that into a batch file. Then in the pre-job script area we run this job to backup exchange to the disk  and this clears the logs fine. Then the BESR job runs fine. Bit of a hack, but works for us.

HTH

Dave

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

David_Hood
Level 4
Partner Accredited

i'm pretty sure it cant, as BESR doesn't backup exchange using the traditional exchange backup APIs.

What we do to get around this is to create an NT backup job of just exchange and put that into a batch file. Then in the pre-job script area we run this job to backup exchange to the disk  and this clears the logs fine. Then the BESR job runs fine. Bit of a hack, but works for us.

HTH

Dave

Feral
Level 2

Hi David,

Thanks for your answer. I managed to get an answer out of Symantec Support as well. As the focus for BESR is volumes and not files then it is not capable of interacting with the log files of either SQL or Exchange.

The only way to achieve this is to use another product in conjunction or creative scripting as you have done! :)

Mark.