cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.5.6 hangs at 5%

pab006
Level 2
Hi All,

We are using backup exec system recovery version 8.5.6.36057 (previously we where using 8.5). Ive crated a recovery point set. The base recovery runs fine as do the 3 other incrementals. On the final recovery point (incremental) the process hangs on 5%. I am unable to cancel the job, or restart the job until the entire server has been rebooted. Ive tried manuyallr restarting the services, but the problem still remains until after a reboot, and then the backups run fine until the last recovery point in the set.

I tried updating the program to 8.5.6 with no joy. Its running on a windows server standard 2008 sp1. This server also run exchange 2007.

Any ideas / help would be much appreciated

thankyou

Paul Walsh
6 REPLIES 6

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
Try to stop the "symantec symsnap Vss provider" service when the job hangs at 5%. then it should continue to run.

AJT
Level 6

Locate and use vssadmin.exe to check the health of your Volume Shadow Services on your server.

Hope this helps :)

Bov
Level 2
Hi, we are running BESR 8..5.5.33937 on MS Server 2003 on a reasonably old server. We have been having problems getting BESR to work as required. It is currently showing that it is creating a Recovery Point and is sitting at 5%. It shows activity but never goes beyond 5%. I think this may be a problem with the destination drive having been removed during this process without realising the recovery point was being created.
I am now wanting to cancel this operation and although it responds by greying out the cancel operation button it does nothing. If I close BESR and reopen it has ignored the cancel request and continues to try to create a recovery point saying it has achieved 5% again!  It does not start from 0% at any stage - always shows only 5%. Help me please! I cannot get the back up to work and due to age of server am extremely reluctant to reboot. (New server on order)

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
Have you tried to to stop the "symantec symsnap Vss provider" service when the job hangs at 5% ? Then it should continue to run.

Bov
Level 2
Yes I have tried to cancel with the Symantec VSS stopped and with it started also also with the MS Volume Shadow Copy stopped and started both together and both seperately!  I have also tried to stop it with the external drive connected and disconnected.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Then I have no idea, have you filed a case with Symantec Support ?