cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8 taking forever to backup <300GB

ladiver
Level 2

I have a setup that is not working well at all.

I am using BESR 8.0.124976 on an HP DL380 G5 with 2.83 Xeon, 4GB ram and Server 2008 x64.

I am trying to backup my files that are located on an MSA1000 and connected via 4GB Fiber card.

The MSA is configured with 3x300GB in RAID5 with 2 partitions.  I am trying to back up one 279GB partition that is using 255GB.

The backup location is an RA4100 in the same configuration that is connected to an HP DL360.  The two servers are connected via gigabit switch.

I started the backup about 17 hours ago and it still has 9 hours remaining.

I am not using anything special, beyond the default settings. 

Something is seriously wrong when I am unable to back up less than 300GB over night.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Message Edited by ladiver on 08-07-2008 03:51 PM
1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
How large and how long does it take to backup the system volume on the HP DL380 G5 to either the RA4100 SAN connected to an HP DL360, or if room permits, to a sub-folder on one of the internal drives of the HP DL360 system itself; does the HP DL360 have a fiber connection to MSA1000 SAN as well – are the two SAN devices connected to a fiber switch or is the two servers connected to the gigabit switch share the bandwidth with production services or is this a backup network configuration. Outside of the product, how is the performance of large file transfer (i.e. 2+ GB) between the DL380 and 360 say in Windows explorer using something like Apparent Networks AppCritical to monitor the transfer?