cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recovery 8 hangs at 5%, "Copying volume data" on SQL Boxes.

Dude101
Not applicable

Hi there,

I have this annoying problem on almost all my SQL Boxes.

When trying to take an image the client hangs at 5% trying to create the recovery point,

no errors, just stays there for ever till I manually restarts the Symantec System Recovery

Service to free the box, I have found that if I stop the SQL Server Service, the backup works

great... But these are production servers, not always I'm able stop the SQL Service. On all the others

boxes works great.

Any one come out with a fix for this??

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Check the windows events for VSS or Symantec VSS provider errors about the time when the job is scheduled to run. This condition can results if another application has used the Symantec’s provider and not Microsoft’s leaving it in a state that BESR can not use to properly snapshot the drives resulting in hanging (i.e. BESR takes the snapshot between 0~5% of the backup) It could also be that SQL is ignoring BESR’s request to shadow the drives due to high activity. If this is the case, you may simply want to create a stop and start batch files that would net stop/start SQL services long enough for BESR to create its snapshot (i.e. Not for the entire imaging task, just long enough for the snapshot to be made from which the backup image file is actually create from). These batch files are then added in the command batch section within the backup job itself; be sure that a local copy to the agent system itself of these batch files are used and not ones stored on a network share.