cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR V7 giving CRC errors during backup

DKW2000
Level 3
Partner
I have a problem with a Windows 2003 R2 server running BESR server V7. Basically, an automated backup job starts but fails most the way thru. All the image files to that point within the session are then auto-deleted (*.sv2i, other *.v2i files for other drive partitions on this server).

If I run the job manually, same thing. Gets most the way thru then fails, deleting all files created thusfar.

The error message in the event log is:
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: 1 x Daily2Tape BESR of *:\, C:\. Error ED800012: The internal structure of the image file (CRC Check) is invalid, damaged or unsupported.
Details: 0xED800012

I've tried purging the history files using the following script:
- net stop "Backup Exec System Recovery"
- del "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\history\*.*" /q
- net start "Backup Exec System Recovery"

Which often fixes the issue, but I'd like to find the root cause.

Has anyone seen this, otherwise I'll have to go down the logging a Symantec support call route...

Not to sound too negative (as I love SLR/BESR!!!) but I've really had a lot of hassles since moving up from V6.01...
3 REPLIES 3

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

It's probably not a bad idea to open a support ticket with Symantec.  They can gather log/debug files and hopefully pin-point what is going on.

In the meantime, can you tell us a little more about the server on which BESR 7.0 is running?  Is disk or volume-based encryption being used?  Where is the image being stored to?  Are you using compression or encryption within BESR itself?

Thanks.

DKW2000
Level 3
Partner
Sorry about the tardy response! The server is a Dell PowerEdge 2550 with 2.5GB RAM. The OS is W2003 SP1. The disks are a pair of 18GB Ultra320 SCSI (RAID1) off a Perc 3/Di RAID controller. The storage location is an Dell PowerVault 745N server, running Windows 2003 Storage Edition. The location is a traditional OS share - no fancy iSCSI connections or anything like that. It is the same location 10 other servers are using, including another identically configured Poweredge 2550. There isn't any encryption being used (disk or BESR). BESR compression is the default 'Standard'. The AD account being used for the BESR jobs is a domain admin equivalent, created solely for BESR use. The BESR control panel service is running as Local System (the default).

I can get the job to run (90% the time) if I zap the history file & previous *.v2i/*.sv2i files beforehand. It doesn't please me to have to use a workaround to get the image job to run 'reliably,' though. This would suggest the server's disks don't have errors. A CHKDSK comes up clean. The server is running ISA2004 SP2, but this has been the case since SLR V3 was installed on this server a couple of years ago (which never missed a beat).

Any ideas?

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

Have you updated the firmware for the system, and even more spescifically for the RAID controller, to the latest version?

Also, we probably want to rule out the network as a contributing factor.  As a test, can you store an image or two locally to see if the same error occurs?

Thanks.