cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR as a migration Tool ?

LVI
Level 3

Hello

What do you think abourt BESR 7 to use it as a migration tool ? I mean, I have some server which must

be changed only for hardware "end of lifecycle" ; the software stay the same ; and some of my colleagues

want to use BESR to migrate on a new hardware.

So, although BESR (by using Restore Anyware)  seems to complete this goal (even if we must upgrade some

drivers), is it safe enough ? Primarily, BESR is a recovery tool, not a migration tool, is not it ?

what do you think to use BESR like this ?

Thanks

LVI

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I have seen that as products mature they begin to take on more roles that customers has voiced they would like to see and what product development can make possible. This was the case here. Enough customers both through the feedback and early in the various builds development through participating in the product’s beta team, voiced that they want the ability to restore images not to just the same system it originally came from but to a dissimilar hardware as well. Unlike Symantec Ghost that can take a single image and clone to multiple same make/model systems at the same time for platform rollout, BESR product development focused on giving its product the ability to restore an image to a single dissimilar system. The Technology has taken off and after three revisions since its introduction in Livestate Recovery 6, it has become more robust and reliable in getting the job done; so much so that a similar technology is being used in Symantec Ghost in their deployment methods.  How safe the product is, is really how much time and effort can you spend in testing first the product in your specific environment. Being cautious as I am, I would recommend downloading the fully functional 60-day trial, take images of key systems and since budgets can at times be tough explore the idea of virtualizing these systems as a test of the Restore Anyware option capabilities; does it work, what do you have to do afterwards to make it work, what preparation can you do to avoid having to do the additional steps, and can you justified the steps needed after the restore as part of your TOI for the product and system migration expense?

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I have seen that as products mature they begin to take on more roles that customers has voiced they would like to see and what product development can make possible. This was the case here. Enough customers both through the feedback and early in the various builds development through participating in the product’s beta team, voiced that they want the ability to restore images not to just the same system it originally came from but to a dissimilar hardware as well. Unlike Symantec Ghost that can take a single image and clone to multiple same make/model systems at the same time for platform rollout, BESR product development focused on giving its product the ability to restore an image to a single dissimilar system. The Technology has taken off and after three revisions since its introduction in Livestate Recovery 6, it has become more robust and reliable in getting the job done; so much so that a similar technology is being used in Symantec Ghost in their deployment methods.  How safe the product is, is really how much time and effort can you spend in testing first the product in your specific environment. Being cautious as I am, I would recommend downloading the fully functional 60-day trial, take images of key systems and since budgets can at times be tough explore the idea of virtualizing these systems as a test of the Restore Anyware option capabilities; does it work, what do you have to do afterwards to make it work, what preparation can you do to avoid having to do the additional steps, and can you justified the steps needed after the restore as part of your TOI for the product and system migration expense?