cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR hanging on opening

KNSmatt
Not applicable

I am running BESR 7.0 and it will hang every time I try to open up the console. no error messages, it says its trying to "Retrieve backup files...." but will never open. If I restart the server BESR will open fine, before any processes have run. I am backing up about 300 GBs and the backup is on high compression, backing up to a external hard drive that is about 275 GBs. The hard drive does have a couple restore points along with about 15 days worth of data and still has abut 50 GBs left... The backups have not ran for about 10 days now. How often does BESR overwrites the data? I do not see a setting for how long it will keep the data. Any suggestion as to why this hangs?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
How long BESR will keep the recovery point images it makes before beginning to delete them from the storage drive depends on the numerical value specified for the, ‘Limit the number of recovery point sets saved for this backup,’ setting on the, ‘Options,’ page within the backup job wizard when you created the job; you can go back and edit the job to change this setting from the default value of 3. A value of three means that upon the successful completion of the fourth base line image to start that new fourth set, the first set comprising of the baseline image and all recovery point up to but not including the second’s baseline image, would be deleted. A good rule of thumb is that BESR will not delete an image till it has created one.

Not being able to open the console, could mean that since BESR keeps a tab on all of the recovery point images the history files thinks that should still be there on the retention scheduled described above, a recovery point image is not reporting and so we are waiting on the timeout period; you can test this by adding this agent to a 2nd console on the same subnet – if the same symptom appears we are looking at an out of synch issue with the agent’s history files, if not and the agent reports to that console each time without delay look at re-installing .net 2.0 frame work again before uninstalling and reinstalling the BESR agent on that first system.

To find out why it has not been able to create backup images for the last 10 days, look within the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\logs for the Backup Exec System Recovery.log.txt file. Use it to find the E-value error codes on why it has failed and search BESR’s knowledge base for suggestions, post as a new thread here, or call into the support queue if that is an option for you.