cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD - V2iMount.sys

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I've just installed BESR 7.01 Server on a Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 (fully patched).  This box previously had Powerquest V2i Protector 2.0 Server installed.

Following the installation re-boot of BESR I got a Blue Screen of Death with this error:

V2iMount.sys
v2i driver unloaded without cancelling pending operations

If I rename V2iMount.sys to V2iMount.old the system will boot up without problems.

I have tried un-installing and re-installing with no success - if V2iMount.sys is present the system will not boot.

Unfortunately, I'm in the ridiculous situation of not being able to get technical support from Symantec.  As a re-seller, the software is an NFR and Symantec UK tell me that I can't get support for this product – either free or paid for.  I’ve spoken to our Symantec Area Manager with no success.

The system also has Backup Exec 11d installed and Symantec Anti Virus 10.1.

I’m guessing that the problem has something to do with the previous V2i Protector installation but this was un-installed without error and there is no trace, that I can find, of it left on the system.  

Has anyone come across this before or can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Richard

7 REPLIES 7

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

My gut tells me that the V2imount.sys driver is conflicting with an old version of the driver.  Do any other driver files exist in "\System32\Drivers" that contain the word "mount" or "PQ"?  If so, I would try deleting or renaming them and then see if the V2imount.sys driver can function properly.

Thanks.

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hello Bill - Many thanks for the info.

I uninstalled BESR and found two suspect files left behind: PQIMount.sys and PQV2I.sys.  I renamed them both to *.xxx reinstalled BESR and the system booted fine.

However, in the system event log I now see the following error: “The following boot start or system state drivers failed to load – PQIMount

Message Edited by Richard Wagstaff on 09-21-2007 01:02 AM

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

Both PQIMount.sys and PQV2i.sys would seem to be drivers left behind by old versions of the product.  I'm glad to hear that getting rid of these files fixed the BSOD issue.

It's very likely that it was the system trying to load both the old and new mount driver that was causing the BSOD.

Our support organization can probably assist with unregistering the old driver, or somehow resolving the issue where the system is still trying to load it at startup.

Thanks.

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Again, many thanks Bill.

However, as I explained above, support is not an option.  As a reseller with an NFR copy we are refused any support, even if we offer to pay!

Richard

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

I apologize, you already explained your support situation.

The support guys are the experts, so it's kind of a risk for me to offer you the following suggestion, but here goes.  I would suggest you have a backup of some type in place, since this involves editing the registry.

The fix should simply be deleting the registry key associated with the PQIMount.sys driver.  The location should be as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

The support guys are the experts, so it's kind of a risk for me to offer you the following suggestion, but here goes.  I would suggest you have a backup of some type in place, since this involves editing the registry.

The fix should simply be deleting the registry key associated with the PQIMount.sys driver.  The location should be as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

+HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
     +SYSTEM
          +CurrentControlSet
               +Services
                    +PQIMount

Thanks.