cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 8.5 Cold Backup (created via Recovery Disk) files to DVD?

Guy_Shepherd
Level 3

Hi all,

I've inherited a backup process that doesn't seem to work and I can't understand why.

Basically we have a W2k3 R2 box with 3 partitions which they want to back up monthly using a cold backup created via the recovery disk.

The process works fine and a recovery point file set is created,

The problem is that we can't then copy this file set to DVD. The current process calls for the server to then be booted and in Backup Exec, copy the recovery point to the DVD.

The first file (for C) writes to the DVD fine, but attempts to copy the files for D & E almost immediately produce an error
ED800006: Internal parent of stream, "pqi/mbr", not found.

I've found that this error occurs even when trying to copy the files to another disk location so it's nothing to do with cd drive drivers, which is what we first suspected.

The process works absolutely fine for recovery point file sets created from within BESR.

I suppose my question is, is there a difference in file format between recovery point files created from the recovery disk and those created from within BESR itself?

Interestingly, I can browse the cold boot recovery points and even restore files from them. I just can't copy the ones for D & E via the Copy Recovery Point function in BESR.

I appreciate that I'm probably missing something here, but I'm very new to this application and I can't find an answer online.

Regards

Guy

Note: moved to here as advised.

19 REPLIES 19

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

criley
Employee Accredited

Interestingly, I can browse the cold boot recovery points and even restore files from them. I just can't copy the ones for D & E via the Copy Recovery Point function in BESR.

Can you open the recovery points for D & E into the recovery point browser and run a verify to confirm they are valid?

Guy_Shepherd
Level 3

Can you open the recovery points for D & E into the recovery point browser and run a verify to confirm they are valid?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but the Verify Recovery Point option is greyed out for all of my recovery points (even those created via BESR). I followed the guide which tells me to open the recovery point in Recovery Point Browser and then File->Verify Recovery Point.

criley
Employee Accredited

You need to select the top level entry (servernamexxx.v2i) in the left-hand column before verify will be available.

Guy_Shepherd
Level 3

With you now.

Ok, all recovery points are reported as being valid.

criley
Employee Accredited

I've found that this error occurs even when trying to copy the files to another disk location so it's nothing to do with cd drive drivers, which is what we first suspected.

Are you saying that you cannot do a standard file system copy (outside of BESR)? What error do you see if this is the case?

Guy_Shepherd
Level 3

Are you saying that you cannot do a standard file system copy (outside of BESR)? What error do you see if this is the case?

No, I can copy them around using Windows Explorer with no problem. It just seems to be BESR that can't copy them to another location - I assume it's trying to read them before it copies them and this is where the problem is. I'm guessing we need to do it this way as the files could be too large to fit on a single DVD otherwise and I'm assuming the BESR copy will span disks if necessary.

It does seem odd since BESR can browse the files and even restore files from within them. It just can't copy them. And it's only restore point files created via the Recovery CD environment. It's fine with restore point files created from within BESR.

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, let me look into this for you. I am going to test this here with SSR 2011.

criley
Employee Accredited

I've tested this here with SSR 2011. I did a cold backup of C and E. I then booted into Windows and used the 'Copy Recovery Point' option (from Tools menu) - both worked fine.

Do you have a license for SSR? If yes, would you be willing to try it?

Guy_Shepherd
Level 3

It's for a customer project that's fairly advanced - I doubt we could change it now. Pretty sure they've only bought licences for BESR 8.5.

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, this is either an issue with version 8.5 or something environmental.

Could you confirm what version of 8.5 you are using (check in Help/About)? Also confirm the version of the ISO for the SRD being used for the backup.

Guy_Shepherd
Level 3

BESR is 8.5.3.31483

How do i find the ISO version for the SRD? We've used a number of them including one generated from BESR - all with the same results.

criley
Employee Accredited

You are using a very old version there. You need to update to the latest version of 8.5 which is 8.5.9 (this will require a reboot).

The ISO is usually named using the version/build number.

Guy_Shepherd
Level 3

You are using a very old version there. You need to update to the latest version of 8.5 which is 8.5.9 (this will require a reboot).

The ISO is usually named using the version/build number

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Ok, I've tried the same process with 8.5.9 and it still won't copy the D and E files.

The SRD is also 859.

Surely I must be doing something wrong? We're creating the cold backups using Highest compression - might this be an issue? I'll try them at Standard in the morning but it seems to me that an available option ought to work.

criley
Employee Accredited

When I tested, it was with standard compression.

Let me know if this helps.

I agree with you though - it should still work with high compression (possibly a defect...).

Guy_Shepherd
Level 3

I've tried it with Standard Compression with the same result. It's almost as though when it's starting to copy the second and third recovery points, it's looking for some sort of index. It fails almost immediately with these two files regardless of where I try to copy the recovery points to. The first file (for C:) always copies perfectly.

Most odd.

criley
Employee Accredited

This is possibly an issue with 8.5.x then.

To answer one of your earlier questions; the main difference between a cold and hot backup is that the system index file (.sv2i) is not created when doing a cold backup. That might explain your comment:

...it's looking for some sort of index.

What are you trying to achieve here? Copy to DVD?

Guy_Shepherd
Level 3

What are you trying to achieve here? Copy to DVD?

Yes, precisely that.

Apparently Tombstoning is an issue with warm backups.

Guy_Shepherd
Level 3

I've had to give up with this. I've written up a new procedure for our customer based on online backups with a workaround to avoid Tombstoning.

Thanks for the assistance anyway.