cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 - Multiple Images

CraigRMS
Level 3

Hi Guys

We are currently running Backup Exec 2010 along with Backup Exec System Recovery 2010.

The backup exec backs up the critical data every night, and Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 takes an image of the server drives on last day of the month.

We have it setup to take the image to a 320GB removable disk. Even though in the backups properties I have set it to allow a maximum of 1 backup set, our removable drive has around 3 instances of the C, D and F drives each on the removable disk.

Can anyone tell me how to ensure there is only ever one copy of the disks on the removable drive?

Please see attached screenshot.

Kind Regards

Craig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, that explains it then.

Currently, the software does not handle this scenario very well and it is not recommended. I believe we are looking at this for the next version of SSR.

In my opinion, you would be better off using 1 drive as the primary destination and use the other 2 as offsite copy destinations. This will ensure that the number of sets specified is adhered to.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

criley
Employee Accredited

Most of the files there are almost a year old (March 2011).

Were you rotating drives at any stage in the past (i.e. using multiple backup 'destinations')? This is normally the cause of this type of issue.

CraigRMS
Level 3

Hi Chris

Yes, we have 3 cartridges in total. So it could be any 1 of the 3 in the backup drive at the time the image is taken. But no matter which cartridge to the backup exec it is the same backup destination i.e. E:\Backup Image, as I have setup this folder on all 3 cartridges. 

Is it possible to set it up to just overwrite whatever image is currently on the cartridge that has been inserted?

Also how does having multiple destinations make it image the same drive i.e. C:\ drive multiple times on the same cartridge? Should it not just overwrite as the maximum backups is set to 1?

Regards

Craig

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, that explains it then.

Currently, the software does not handle this scenario very well and it is not recommended. I believe we are looking at this for the next version of SSR.

In my opinion, you would be better off using 1 drive as the primary destination and use the other 2 as offsite copy destinations. This will ensure that the number of sets specified is adhered to.

Hope that helps.

CraigRMS
Level 3

Thanks Chris