cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Backup Policy Schedule - Surprise Results

dale_m1
Level 4
I have seven servers scheduled for new baseline backups on the 1st and 15th of every month.  I would like to change this schedule to the 10th and 25th of each month.  So, last evening, April 6th, I edit the policy schedule and save.  My hope is that the new schedule would take effect on April 10th and I would now have a new baseline scheduled for April 10, April 25, May 10, May25, etc. in place of the old April 15, May 1, May 15 schedule.

When I fired up BESR on my servers this morning to see if they have picked up the new schedule, I see that the next scheduled baseline is not until May 10, not April 25 or April 10, but May 10.  There is now no baseline at all scheduled between now and May 10th.   Why can’t the new schedule begin on April 10?  The schedule change was, after all, made on April 6th.

This seems crazy.  Is this by design?  If so, what is the design?
2 REPLIES 2

dale_m1
Level 4
For what it's worth -

Following up on the above, on April 6th I pushed out a policy schedule change to seven servers moving their scheduled baseline backups from the 1st, and 15th to the 10th and 25th.  After doing so, the schedule on each local BESR installation showed that the next baseline would not happen until, May 10, not April 10th.  Well, it turns out that 5 of the 7 servers decided they would run a baseline on April 10 after all - despite what their own schedule indicated.

Over the last couple of months I have spend a substantial amount of time trying to get myself to the point where I am comfortable with the predictability and reliability of this product.  I’ve reached the conclusion that the Altiris Management Console is simply not worth wasting any more time on.  As a product whose objective is to aid in the central management of backup tasks, it is, in my view, a failure.  My most effective tool for monitoring backup operations has become, sad to say, daily Windows Explorer sessions examining the data/time stamps on the backup files.  At this point I will probably throw Altiris overboard, uninstall and reinstall BESR locally on all my clients, and hope for the best.

I do feel that the Symantec BESR product is basically a good product and it was on an evaluation of this piece that we decided to make our purchase.  As for the Altiris component, whatever synergistic advantages were supposed or claimed are just not happening down here at the end user level.

Elof
Level 2
Partner Accredited
I thought BESR 8.5 was a pretty good product and an easy sell to a client.  However, I was floored on the first sale of 2010 and I discovered the requirement that the server be a 32 bit 2003 machine only.

The Altiris intface is goofy, unfriendly and cryptic.  After weeks on trying to get this working, I now feel that the learning curve is too steep, product limitations too great and the resources available to  resolve all the problems too great to continue to sell this.  It seems that the Symantec support doesn't really understand this product either.

JC