cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct backup policy

giorgiobusoni
Level 5

Hi all

have some pcs that have more than one partition, and there is one or more among these partitions that i don't whant to backup, and some others that are small partition, without letter, reserved for the system (created at the installation of windows)

For example, the simplest situation is:

3 partitions:

-no letter - system reserver

-c: the boot drive

-d: some large archiving partition I don't whant to backup

Now, in these situation, how to configure a correct backup policy? Actually, for those pcs, i configured a backup policy for the partition c:, but in case of crash, I think i would be in trouble, as I don't have a backup for the no-letter partition, that, beeing system reserver, should contain some system files i suppose.

In pcs where there is no d partition, i configured to backup all partitions, and so also the no-letter partition is backed up.

How to solve this problem? I configure backup policies from SSR manager, and the no-letter partition are not well-listed (there are many, and you don't understand wich is the one of the pc you whant to backup....)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

If you have access to the SQL database that stores the SSR-MS data you can query the table dbo.Inv_BESR_Volume for the volumes each client has. Then you could define the polices according to that.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Afaik SSR 2011 MS does not show the individual partitions for each pc but all drives that are found on any computer where SSR is installed.

So I'd go this way:

Create a backup policy and include only those drives that the target/targets of the policy have. Than assign the policy to this target or targets.

E.g.

For  PCs  with 3 partitions ( no letter, C,D) include noletter and C and assign the policy only to them

For PCs with 2 partitions ( C,D) include only C and assign the policy only to them.

criley
Employee Accredited

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you want to backup C and the system reserved partition but not the D partition. Is that right?

You can only do this at the moment using the workaround mentioned in the article below. This will be fixed in the next service pack (SP2) for SSR-MS.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125129

giorgiobusoni
Level 5

yes, ut the problem is that, if i remeber well, the manager lists more than one no-letter partitions, as they have different names, for example lists

no-name1

no-name2

no-name3

how do I know what partition has each pc? I can't go checking client by client the names of those partitions and configure a policy for every one singularly...I'd like to make an unique policy for any client...

one possible workaround could be selecting all of the partitions in the policy (noname1, 2 and 3), but then what happens on clients that have noname1 but don't have noname2,3? they'll give me error? the same for those who have noname2 but not noname1,3 etc....

another workaround culd be to make 3 different policies, one with c and noname1, one with c and noname2, and one with c and noname3, and then assign every client to the right one...but this is annoying for many clients...

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

If you have access to the SQL database that stores the SSR-MS data you can query the table dbo.Inv_BESR_Volume for the volumes each client has. Then you could define the polices according to that.

giorgiobusoni
Level 5

perfect! thanks!