Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dissimliar Hardware Restore

Aaron_Browne_IE
Level 2

Hi All,

Software

Windows 2003 SBS sp1, Exchange sp2, DNS, DHCP etc etc all on the same box. Single domain ourcompany.local. There are two partitions C:\ system and E:\ Data. Some of the SBS installation was installed on this drive and also exchange database resides here too.

Hardware

Current -  Dell Server 1620SC, dual processor 32bit, 2GB RAM, Raid 5 (3 Disks).

New hardware - Dell Server 1900. Quad core 32bit, 4GB RAM, Raid 5 (3 Disks).

We are transferring this system to a new bare metal box all new hardware. I used BESR 701 to backup the system of our current live server, I then used the restore anywhere option to restore the live system to a test server. The task complete successfully and the server booted up. But after a minute or two it because unstable and when I tired to access administrative tools and other windows tools the system kept hanging.

What have I done wrong as I followed all the best practice guides with great care. I hope I have provided enough information that will lead to a fix. Other wise please request any information that may assist in troubleshooting this issue.

Also what I have noticed this morning is that IIS is dead or corrupt. Everything else seems fine other then the system hanging when trying to access some windows admin tools etc. CPU and RAM all at low levels of activity. Also when searching for a file I had to enter what partition to search and only my documents was listed in the drop down.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Aaron

2 REPLIES 2

Sprocket
Level 2
I have done a similar BMR to a test box.  It took me about 3 tries before I got it correct.  I backed up each partions separately and then restored each separately.  You should clean up the original computer as much as possible before doing the backup, remove temp files, remove unused applications, defrag the hard drive.

When you restore on the new box, wipe out any existing partitions the first time through and remember to resize the C partition when you install it.

Aaron_Browne_IE
Level 2
Hi and thanks for the reply.

When I retore the C:\ partition it is automatically set to the size it was. Why do I need to resize the drive?

At this stage I have had about 5 attempts to restore this system to a test box using bare metal restore option. My issue at the moment is that when I click on the administrative tools fropm control panel explorer stalls but RAM and CPU levels are fine.

If someone can help me please do.

I will try and run disk clean and defrag and take another back and see how i get on there. Any more suggestion greatly received.

Regards

Aaron