cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code EC90056 - Can't restore to one of two harddrives on a disparate desktop

JMR_2
Level 2
I am currently using Symantec System Recovery v7.0 and have a unique problem.  I have restored images from disparate servers and desktops but have situation where I cannot seem to get the process to work.

Using SSR Desktop for my desktop, I did a complete backup of the C:\ drive to an external 100gb USB drive - this desktop has a 250gb drive and the amount of data backed up was 60gb (and about 42gb compressed as an image).  I then attached the USB drive with the image to another disparate desktop which has a very fast 80gb primary drive and a standard 250gb additional drive on the SATA II controller.  When I booted with the Symantec Recovery CD and tried to to restore this image, it would only restore to the 250gb drive which is not the preferred boot drive - the 80gb drive was greyed out and the recovery set reflected that it was to restore to an invalid drive with error code EC90056 "destination is not valid".  When I disabled the 250gb drive in the BIOS and tried the process over, I still received the same result.  I believe I am within the proper parameters to restore 60gb of data onto an 80gb drive.  And I presume the controller drivers on the SRD work otherwise the two drives would not show up in the recovery screen and would not reflect the 80gb and the 250gb drives, especially where one is allowed to restore to. 

I was even more suprised though when we ghosted the recovered image from the 250gb drive to the 80gb drive and still the 80gb drive woudn't boot even with the 250gb drive disabled in the BIOS.

Please let me know what I am missing here or what else I can try to restore to the 80gb drive.

Thanks
1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Good rule of practice is that we need 1/6th of the total drive space of the original disk plus the use space on this disk as the minimum space needed on a smaller capacity drive or partition to restore to. Doing the math, 1/6 of 250 plus 60 comes out to be approximately 102 GB as the smallest size we can restore into. Be sure that the BIOS has set the SATA drive to be a boot option, and that it has disabled AHCI mode prior to the restore.