cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRD with USB external disk attached: sees it as valid source for backup but not as destination

MaceKurgan
Level 2
Partner

Hi All,

I've already followed the advice from Unomat's posting "SRD doesn't see my WD Passport (USB hard drive) ", including the advice from Symantec Employee David F - regarding the timing of when one inserts the USB drive and also trying the Diskpart / rescan options. No joy.

To my mind, if the system sees it as a valid source drive then this rules out a driver issue, and it should be present as a destination drive? Disk is a Hitachi Deskstar 250GB IDE, connected with USB to IDE converter - which works perfectly under windows and the "Source Drives" section of SRD (as previously stated).

Notes on objectives: I'm a Symantec Partner, using NFR of BESR 8.5 Desktop. Trying to demonstrate to a potential client with a high turnover of laptops, that SRD could be used to quickly setup laptops with disparate hardware using a standard build without having to continually install the same software repeatedly. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MaceKurgan
Level 2
Partner

Solved! Literally 10 mins after my post, I noticed there were no drive letters when viewing the "Source Drives" section, although the disk and partitions showed up.
I then realised that the disk had been converted to "Dynamic" at some point. I converted the disk to "Basic", retried the SRD and hey presto! Works perfectly well - I now have a valid Destination Drive and folders.

How stupid do I feel? It's amazing the clarity and inspiration one gets when one has already cried for help, LOL! :)

Hope this post helps someone facing the same issue in the future.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

MaceKurgan
Level 2
Partner

Solved! Literally 10 mins after my post, I noticed there were no drive letters when viewing the "Source Drives" section, although the disk and partitions showed up.
I then realised that the disk had been converted to "Dynamic" at some point. I converted the disk to "Basic", retried the SRD and hey presto! Works perfectly well - I now have a valid Destination Drive and folders.

How stupid do I feel? It's amazing the clarity and inspiration one gets when one has already cried for help, LOL! :)

Hope this post helps someone facing the same issue in the future.