cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message on trying to do an incremental backup.

Earwigo
Level 3

When I click to backup now, and the computer starts the incremental backup process, I get the error message: 'Search engine cannot be enabled for this incremental image. - Required file attribute missing'. I have disabled the option for 'Enable search engine support For Google Desktop and Backup Exec Retrieve', as the help file says, but the error still occurs.
Please could anyone help me to overcome this problem?

Many thanks,

Stuart.

6 REPLIES 6

criley
Employee Accredited

This is a known issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/301460

Earwigo
Level 3

Thanks for your message, Chris. I have been to the page to which you refer and done what is suggested, but still cannot do an incremental backup of my main drive. (The documents back up does work incrementally).

Is there any more advice you could give me, to save having to do a full back up every week?

Many thanks,

Stuart.

criley
Employee Accredited

I've just re-read your original post. I'm surprised that you are still seeing this error after disabling the search engine feature.

Have you tried re-creating the job without this option? You should also run LiveUpdate which will ensure you are on the latest build.

Earwigo
Level 3

Thanks, Chris.

I have re-checked that the option is disabled, and at the moment it is working well and doing incremental updates. I hope it is now permanently solved, as previously I had had the same problem recurring after a week or so.

I'll let you know if all is still O.K. in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, thanks again for your help messages.

Stuart.

Earwigo
Level 3
 Hi. I find now that when the next backup is due, it spends about 3 hours 'Reconciling the volume', and then does a full backup again - this lasting an extra 3 hours! I have downloaded the latest version of BESR (version 8.5.3.31483), and all this is happening.Please could anyone out there help me? Many thanks,
Stuart.

marcogsp
Level 6
...... would any of the volumes that you are imaging have no volume name?

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294702.htm

Sometimes the causes of these problems have a way of compounding themselves.