cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error on restore when using Restore Anywhere in BESR 2010

jwelborne
Level 2
Partner Accredited
When attempting to resotre a system to a new computer with Restore Anywhere I get the following message after reboot:

The system registry contains invalid file paths.
Installation cannot proceed.
The system image was applied without guaranteeing that
drive-letter assignments would match across computers.

How can I determine the cause of this error?

Thanks for any help!

Jim

9 REPLIES 9

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
Seems like the Systemvolume has change, e.g. from C:\ on the original computer to D:\ on the new one?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947245/en-us

jwelborne
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Thanks for the idea Markus.  I deleted all drive partitions on  the new PC and then ran BESR with Restore Anywhere I did not get the registry error but  I got the following message:

"Windows could not process or parse the answer file for pass [specialize].  The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied.  The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup]."

I need to determine the cause of this error in order to proceed.

Thanks, Jim

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

To be honest: No idea. But for me this sounds like BESR has a problem to do the sysprep on the new machine. Maybe you might try to restore the image to a different model of server or re-take the backup and verify it after creation ?!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have to tried it out ?

jwelborne
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Not yet.  Got busy on another project.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

jwelborne
Level 2
Partner Accredited
I ran out of time on this and just flattened the computer and reinstalled the OS.

Jim

Adrenaline_X
Level 3

Same garbage here.

Another thread lists that the ADMIN account needs to be enabled on the machine before imaging.. Normally the built in account in windows 7 is disabled.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It helps to know what the original drive configuration on the source machine was. Next time, you may want to restore the system reserved and C:\ drive only, attempt to boot, then restore the others if you get a good boot.