cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange retrieve error in browsing

Luca
Level 2
Hi,
I made an image of my SBS2003 sp2 windows server and then I tried to export old e-mail from the exchange database.
When I started Exchange retrieve I tried to open my sv2i file but I had this:" error: version information impossible to find" (this is the translation form the italian message I do my best :) )
Both the programs, system recovery 7.0 and exchange retrieve, are correctly activated.

If I try to browse the image sv2i it's all right cause I'm able to see the content, recover files, or mount the image like a disk unit. The only thing that doesn't work is the exchange retrieve.
I try the some thing in onether server and the result is the same.

What's wrong?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

My understanding is that Windows 2003 SBS edition should be fully supported by both BESR 7.0 and the Exchange Retrieve option.

My first idea would be to confirm that both products had been activated correctly, but it appears you have already done that.

Can you tell me what language version of Windows you are using, and what language version of BESR you are using?

Italian I presume?

Thanks.

Luca
Level 2
Yes, both the version are in Italian. As I wrote, I tried the same thing in a similar installation but I receveid the same error. What I can try?

Thanks

savas_cucum
Level 3
hi,
İ have same problem,
Using Englis version...

When i open the sv2i file, i have error like that.
unable to find version information.

created new image file, still same error.

Thanks

Savas

savas_cucum
Level 3
hi,
İ have same problem,
Using Englis version...

When i open the sv2i file, i have error like that.
unable to find version information.

created new image file, still same error.

Thanks

Savas

marcogsp
Level 6
When you folks are creating your Exchange server images, are you stopping Exchange services before the image capture?  Just for giggles, I opened a copy of the sv2i file and could not find any information about the Exchange server version, although the file is provisioned for it.  I remember reading that BESR is capable of doing MS volume shadow copying, so it is not necessary to stop the Exchange services.  The paranoid side of me still likes to stop the services to insure that tranactions get committed and logs are flushed properly.

I made another image of my Exchange server without stopping the Exchange services.  The "unable to find version information" error did not appear when I opened the sv2i file in Exchange Retrieve.  Perhaps the Exchange services need to be running after all in order for BESR to determine the Exchange version information. 

I hope this info helps.

Luca
Level 2
I know that the exchange service must not be stopped.
I never stopped it, I tried in another server with the same configuration (SBS sp2 with exch SP2 all in italian version) but I had the same error.
Nothing else to try?

Thanks

marcogsp
Level 6
Luca,

My guess is that the Exchange version information is still not being determined properly and it is the Volume Shadow copy service that extracts this info

I do not use SBS but I did find a Microsoft KB article that might be helpful:

Apparently, the Exchange 2003 writer component  of  the Volume Shadow Copy service is turned off by default in SBS.  There is a conflict with the Exchange writer and NTBackup.exe in SBS.  If you are using some other backup software, it is supposedly safe to enable the Exchange writer again.  This does require editing the registry, so tread carefully.

Hopefully this is the fix, but if not, I'll give it some more thought.

Marco