cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding file in image span

LukeW
Level 4

A strange one but bare with me!

Image you have an image of a server, that has been spanned across X number of files. If I wanted to restore file XYZ, is there anyway of working out which image file in the spanned collection actually contains XYZ file.

Hope that makes sense.

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

Why would you need to know this? If you open up one of the spanned images in the recovery point browser, it needs to access/open the whole set so the question is kind of irrelevant. Unless I have missed the point....

LukeW
Level 4

No you haven't missed the point.

My reason for asking is, I need to restore the whole image span from a tape archive, for one file!

If I knew which image file contained the XYZ file I need I could restore just that particular one.

But with the image span referencing the whole set it does sound very pointless.

criley
Employee Accredited

BESR is not really designed for single file restores. Yes, you can do it via GRO or the recovery point browser but it's a 'system recovery' product primarily designed to recover entire servers or volumes.

If I understand you correctly, you are 'archiving' your images onto tape. What you are looking for I suspect, is a 'catalog' view like you get with Backup Exec which tells you specifically which tape/backup-to-disk folder holds the data you want to recover.

Digerati
Level 4

BESR cannot backup to tapes - right ? I am just double checking ?

Unless you have done backup to disk to tape, in which case yes you would first have to restore the image

Now if you have separate partitions on this server, BESR creates partition files (atleast in my case - I would have 3 images of C, D, E)

So that way you can know that which partition had the files and you would restore that one.

I would recommend go for backup exec, which will allow you to granularly restore files, folders via tape.

LukeW
Level 4

BESR Image is then backed up using ARCServ to tape for archiving.

Thanks for the replies anyway. I'll restore the whole image set.