cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How bad do you really want to sell this product?

Cory_Claflin
Level 2
So I'm looking for a bare-metal backup solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (how can companies justify charging more for the backup product then the actual OS). I've messed around a bit with LiveState Recovery and am really impressed, however the website is so confusing I can't tell what it is I really need.

I'm simply looking for a product comparison similar to: http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATIESWin/comparison.html

I call up the sales line and after being on hold for 15 minutes it switches over to a voicemail system telling me to leave a message.

I try using the online chat and tell the guy I'd like a product comparison similar to the above link. He tells me that I need to send an e-mail to: custserve@symantec.com with my request. I said ok but wanted to know if he could at least give me a simple breakdown of the product.

I asked him what the difference was between LiveState Recovery Server, LiveState Recovery Small Business Server, and LiveState Recovery Desktop. I expect an answer along the lines of: desktop can't backup SQL, Exchange, Domains databases; small business can backup SQL, Exchange, & Domain databases, and server can back up other servers.

Instead I got: Server can backup standard servers, Small Business can backup small business server, and desktop is for clients..?????? What the H*** kind of answer is that?

I ask him that if the desktop is only for clients then how was I able to install it on server 2003 and perform backups? His answer: "Yes". I say "Yes what?" He says:"Yes". At this point I realize I'm talking to a complete moron and close the chat window.

I had copy/pasted the e-mail address into a new e-mail when he gave it to me and started my e-mail. I first voiced my displeasure with the tech and then asked my simple product comparison request. I click "Send" and I get a friggen Returned to Sender message. The tech gave me the wrong e-mail address.

Sorry about the rant but could someone please provide me with a simple product comparison.
6 REPLIES 6

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Yep, since the Veritas / Symantec merger the quality of pre-sales support has gone from good to non-existant! When it was Veritas they had a straight forward pre-sales support phone number where you could call, and on every occasion I used the line I found the staff on the other end to be extremely helpful, and answered my questions quickly and accurately.

Since the merger it seems they've ditched that method of communication, preferring to get people coming on here asking their licensing questions, which is just stupid. It's like they're telling all those people who have cash in their hands wanting to buy their products, that they can only do so if they already know what they want, or are willing to take a chance.

When it was the old Symantec that was fine, all their products were reletively simple, nothing too complex (how hard can an AV server and a bunch of licenses get!), but now with the more complex Veritas portfolio on board they really should have taken up the Veritas model of dealing with pre-sales support! So much of taking the best from both companies during the merger!

Finally to answer the question "how can companies justify charging more for the backup product then the actual OS", quite simply, all the companies know that 1) the person recommending and purchasing the software is technical, 2) it's not their own money they're spending, and 3) in the event of a failure they can't recover from their jobs are on the line. Having your job at risk really helps to focus the mind! :)

Vladimir_Vuci1
Level 4
Hi Cory,

First, the right e-mail probably is custserv@symantec.com.

Next, BE SR 6.5 Desktop is just for Windows XP Professional, Small Business can be installed only on SBS and Server is for Windows Servers. Server version also have LightsOut option that can't be found in Desktop version. Restore Anywhere is supported in all versions.

BE SR 6.5 (former LSR 6.0) does not have any agents (like Backup Exec) and idea is to use it as system backup not data backup. You can backup SQL and Exchange and AD/DC but this is image based backup that capture the state of the system in time and restore it.

Best regards,

Cory_Claflin
Level 2
Vladimir,

Thanks for the reply.

Remind me to never post upset again, the more I read that post the more I feel like a jerk.

Still not sure about the e-mail:

": host extu-mxib-1.symantec.com said: 550 5.0.0 ... User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command)"

I think I know why I've been partly confused as to the limitations. I had previously downloaded the trialware desktop version and was able to install it and create backups on a server 2003 machine. It wasn't until I downloaded the trialware server version today and saw that they were the same file that I realized what was going on. I'm guessing the limitations are determined by whatever key or .slf file that gets uploaded?

A bare-metal recovery solution is exactly what I'm looking for.

Vladimir_Vuci1
Level 4
Cory,

Just a small notice on e-mail (you have one extra "e" on the end), it is not custservE, just custserv@symantec.com.

Best regards,
Vladimir

Cory_Claflin
Level 2
could someone else test this address for me, custserv@symantec.com bounced back to me as well.

Mike_Saunders
Level 2
A few months ago I too was looking for such a comparison. Ended up doing my own as best I could. I've only played with BESR so take this with a grain of salt.
Some tid bits -
The Server for Windows version of ATI is good for a single machine, W2K3. However it does not include any management capabilities for handling multiple machines.

The Enterprise Server of ATI does include management, perhaps similiar to what is built into BESR (I believe). I was not really interested in management so I did not look at this in detail.

To make a package comparable to BESR, would require the purchase of ATI ES and ATI Universal Recover. This combination is a little more expensive than BESR.

One thing I did not like about BESR is that the images are in multiple files. One that has the drive layout, then one for each partition, I think.

With ATI you get a single image file

If you visit the ATI forum, keep in mind that ATI has a home version and most of the message there are from home users.

Keep in mind that with both products, the support should be purchased also.