cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imaging System Recovery Drives

Bob_Thornley
Not applicable

I am evaluating a trial version of Symantec System Recovery.

What I would like to do is make a complete image of my server so that I can quickly restore in the event of a disaster.

I have a Dell server with an operating system partition (RAID 1 - 2 physical drives) and a data partition (RAID 5 - 3 physical drives).

On the OS (Windows Server 2008 R2) partition there is a hidden Dell Utility drive, a system recovery drive and the OS system drive.

What I would like to do is create an image that captures everything . . . except the data on the data drive. I back this up separately.

I have a job that images the hidden Dell drive, the system recovery drive and the OS system drive. My question is, if I had to restore from this image, will it also restore a blank data drive. I am assuming that the OS has the information for the data drive and therefore would show that drive on a restore.

If this is true, I would do a System Recovery restore to get my server running and configured like it was before, then I would simply copy the data back to my data drive.

Does this work? If not is there a way to do what I want to accomplish?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

PS - The reason that I do not simply want to image the data drive as well is that it is huge. I intend to do frequent OS images to an external drive. If I also imaged the data drive, it will fill the external drive too quickly.

2 REPLIES 2

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I should think it won't restore an empty data partition because the job does not include this partition. But I agree Windows expects this partition so maybe you need to first restore the other partitons, immediatly afterwards the data partiton and then start the OS.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you run a trial restore already ?