cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License could not be set via VB-Script

FJHack
Level 4

Hi,

I'v got a verry bugging Problem: the license of the BESR agent cannot stable be set via VB script.

On some machines it works, on some not. If I connect to that not "working" clients they show me that they are still in trial-mode.

If I try to set the License-Info twice, there comes an errormessage:

VBS-scriptame(Line, Pos) (null): Result (0xebab0005 18 ERROR_ERRORS_EXIST Args [2] Arg (0xbab0012 Result (0xec8f1c20 31 VPRO_ERROR_LICENSE_INSTALLATION Args [0];)) Arg (0xbab0012 Result (0xec8f17c8 24 VPRO_ERROR_SERIAL_NUMBER Args [1] Arg (0xbab000d 19 xx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx);));)

In normal case this would be correct, because this error shows that the license was already set. But why ist the agent in trial-mode?

So the advantage of installing the software in a silent mode is lost, because every installation I've to check if the serial number is set.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FJHack
Level 4

Hi,

now we got a workaround...

prior we installed the SP2 without the SecurityShortcut. Doing so, the Security-Feature was not installed and the Agent could not connect to the Service. Adding this Switch to the scripted installation it works fine. Installing the SP1 prior to SP2 it seams to install the Scecurity-Feature.

Symantec is informed about this installation bug...

CU

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What is the context of the script and command line?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Which script do you use ? You might try this one: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/vbs-files-configuring-besr-8x7x-license-smtp-options-and-creating-backup-jobs

FJHack
Level 4

Yes I use the content of this file:

'-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Prerequisites
'-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set WshShell = CreateObject ("Wscript.Shell")
Set WshNetwork = CreateObject ("Wscript.Network")
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

... here I get the time and drives of the backup....

'Generating a LSR automation object

Set v2iAuto = CreateObject("Symantec.ProtectorAuto")

'----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Connecting to local agent

WScript.Echo "Connecting..."
WScript.Echo "-------------"
Set oNet = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")
Call v2iAuto.Connect(oNet.ComputerName)

'Remove all existing schedules
For Each oCurrentJob in v2iAuto.ImageJobs
    v2iAuto.RemoveImageJob(oCurrentJob.ID)
Next

'Remove incons in tray

v2iAuto.TrayVisibility = False

'Default Image path
Set oNetLocation = CreateObject("Symantec.VProRecovery.NetworkLocation")
oNetLocation.Name = "Network Share"
oNetLocation.DisplayName = "Network Share"
oNetLocation.Path = csNetworkShare
oNetLocation.FileSpec = WshNetwork.ComputerName
oNetLocation.Extension = ".v2i"
oNetLocation.NetworkUser = csUserName
oNetLocation.NetworkPassword = csPassword
oNetLocation.SupportsRemote = True
v2iAuto.DefaultImageLocation = oNetLocation

'Import License

WScript.Echo "Import license"
WScript.Echo "--------------"
strComputer = "."
Set objWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")
Set colItems = objWMI.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem",,48)

For Each objItem in colItems
    sOperatingSystem = sOperatingSystem &  objItem.Caption & ","
Next

If (InStr(1, sOperatingSystem , "Server") > 0 Or InStr(1, sOperatingSystem , "2003") > 0 Or InStr(1, sOperatingSystem , "2008") > 0) Then
    WScript.Echo "Server Operating System: " + sOperatingSystem
    sLicense = csLicenseServerOS
Else
    WScript.Echo "Client Operating System"
    sLicense = csLicenseClientOS
End If

on error resume Next
    WScript.Echo "License: " + slicense
    v2iAuto.InstallLicense(slicense)
on error goto 0

WScript.Echo "End connecting / import license"
WScript.Echo "-------------------------------"
WScript.Echo ""

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, one thing i noticed when I ran my scripts was that BESR is sometimes a little nasty regarding timing. For example I had to add a little sleep before adding backup jobs using vbs, so you might change the order and install the license first or put a sleep before you install the license.

FJHack
Level 4

Hi,

now every line has a two second sleep before. But no positive result...

There is a new or may be the the same error: At the first connect there is a error "-2147024891" what means "access is denied".  This time while running W2k8r2.

I'm Administrator, DCOM has rights for "full for everyone"

FJHack
Level 4

Also, after installation of the Agent, the Icon shown is greyed out. Using the "right-mouse"-functionality there is a "access-denied"-message. and that the backup service might not be running. But the servce is running...

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So you run the script as administrator resp. with elevated privileges ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates ?

FJHack
Level 4

Yes,

this script is called as Domain-Admin.

Now I tried several installation scenaios...

If I install the BESR 2010 SP1 via GUI, selecting only the agent and the browswer (GUI, live .. is not necessary) and without booting installing the SP2 via Script (setup.exe /s /v"/qn PQPUSH=Y PQAGENT=Y PQCONSOLE=N PQBROWSER=Y REBOOT=ReallySuppress ADDLOCAL=Agent,Browser,Shared" ), than it seems to work.

But if I try to install both SP1 and afterwards SP2 with this commandline, than the same problem occures (message: Backup service is not running, but in services it is marked as running). It's so confusing.. 

I must not use the GUI-Installations, because all of our systems are installed unattended by WDS.

I Fear the next steps now will be downloading acronis and start a new try.

FJ

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Why don't you install SP2 straigt away without prior installation of SP1 ?

FJHack
Level 4

Hi,

now we got a workaround...

prior we installed the SP2 without the SecurityShortcut. Doing so, the Security-Feature was not installed and the Agent could not connect to the Service. Adding this Switch to the scripted installation it works fine. Installing the SP1 prior to SP2 it seams to install the Scecurity-Feature.

Symantec is informed about this installation bug...

CU