cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My backup medium is full !!!

Hillman
Not applicable

Maybe a simple solution available, but i can;t find it....

When using Symantec backup exec system recovery 2010 , and the medium i'm usingis full, i receive an error message. (totaly understandable)

Is there a way to delete the oldest backup available on the disk ?

I'm using an dell RD1000 removabel haddisk unit with 80 GB cartridges.

saved recoverypoints are limited to 2, but it does n't work.

somebody please help.

9 REPLIES 9

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I would suggest you can upgrade to Symantec System Recovery 2011 which is the next version of BESR 2010 and has lot of issues resolved in it.

If thats not possible then you can atleast upgrade to SP3 of BESR 2010.

You will not be able to delete any recovery points from the BESR console. So you may want to access your destination through network and delete the older Recovery points manually after arranging it in ascending order of Date modified.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CevinMoses
Level 2

Sush, are you serious?!?  Then what does automatic management of recovery points actually accomplish if not deleting older versions of recovery points?  This is what the manual says:

I'm in the same boat as Hillman.  We have a RD1000 on a new Dell, and no one can figure out why the backups keep failing and why the disks are full.  Why doesn't BESR manage that automatically?  I thought that's what automatic management of backup data was supposed to accomplish.

-Cevin

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, you can manually delete the oldest recovery points. You simply open the 'manage backup destination' window and select the backup image(s) to delete. Doing it this way, as opposed to manually deleteting the image via Windows Explorer, allow BESR to keep track of the image file history.

criley
Employee Accredited

Some questions that have not been asked yet:

1. Are you rotating disks (being used as the backup destination)?
  2. How are the backups configured? Full (independent) or full+incrementals (recovery point set)?

Please provide more details on how the jobs are configured including the number of sets you want to retain.

I suspect that you are rotating the disks which is causing an issue with the automatic management.

Just to clarify an earlier comment - you MUST not delete recovery points outside of BESR.

RodneyC
Level 4

I've got the same issue.

• Symantec Backup System Recovery 2010. (9.0.1.36527)
  • Tandberg RDX Tape Drive and 2x Tandberg Data RDX® Removable Cartridges .
  • Windows Server SBS 2011

The customer has two tapes which they rotate Mon - Sat, its set to run a full backup everyday, 1 backup per tape. The removebale drive is F:\, BESR is set to manage the destination yet it doesn't work and the backups keep failing because they are full and we have to delete the old one manually.

FYI I've just running a live update to see if anything fixes it.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You do want to upgrade to BESR 9.0.3, as there was an eject issue addressed in this latter build.

BESR does not look at the F:\ drive when it is backing up. Rather, it is looking at the unique identifier on each cartridge. Thus, if you have drive F:\ as the backup destination, but are rotating cartridges A and B, BESR looks at each cartridge as a separate backup destination. The simple solution to this is to create 2 separate backup jobs - one for each cartridge. Simply put, one job does not effectively backup to 2 or more different cartridges.

RodneyC
Level 4

Thanks for the reply Andy, we'll try that and report back.

CevinMoses
Level 2
Chris, I read your post and realized we have been doing things wrong (because that's what Sush told us to do-see above). Is there anything I need to do to correct any lingering issues/data regarding recovery points that were deleted from Windows Explorer rather than from within BESR? (Version 9.0.3.40369 as of today).

CevinMoses
Level 2
Andy, We are using BESR 2010 (9.0.0.35656) on a Dell server with a RD1000 removeable drive. We are rotating cartridges every day, Monday-Saturday. There is one cartridge for each work day, and there are 4 cartridges for Saturdays which rotate throughout the month. To make sure I'm understanding you correctly, we should set up a different task for each cartridge, so a task to run only on Mondays would run on Monday's cartridge, a seperate task to run only on Tuesdays would run on Tuesday's cartridge, etc. Do I need to have the corresponding cartridge in the drive when I set up that day's task? I'm not at this office everyday, and the backups are working so long as we don't forget to cleanup the cartridges. I want BESR to manage the cleanup for me because the girls that work at that office often forget and don't say anything until the backups have failed several times because the cartridges are full. If I have seperate tasks for each cartridge, can I have it automatically handle the cleanup of the cartridges? I tried setting this up, but it will not let me create a schedule for, say, the second Saturday of every month. I can either do it on every Saturday, which means I might have a problem if we're switching disks, or on a specific day of the month, which means I would have to manually change that every month, which of course is ridiculous. Weekday backups are File Backups, and the Saturday backups are Full Backups (Independant Recovery Points). Sorry this is a lot of questions all at once on an old thread. If there's a better way to set this up, please let me know. Right now we are only doing local backups, but I am working on an off-site backup solution. We are backing up patient records, so we really don't need any restore points beyond the most recent one. The multiple disks are just for a crazy amount of redundancy, which is probably overkill in some respects, but falls short in others, so if you can recommend a better method of doing this, I would appreciate it greatly. -Cevin