cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering folder on diffrent drive

vbjain
Level 3
Dear All,

We are facing problem in recovering folders from BESR file and folders backup.
As while recovering a folder on different destination folder (not an original folder) all files included in subfolders are getting extracted to the folder where we are recovering the backup.

For e.g,

If I am taking the backup of following folder structure located in (C:\Tracking):

-Folder1
     |- SubFolder1
              |- File1.txt
              |- File2.txt
              |- MoreFolder1
                     |- File3.txt
                     |- File4.txt
              |- MoreFolder2
     |- SubFolder2
              |- File5.txt
              |- File6.txt
              |- MoreFolder1
                       |- MoreFolder2
                               |- File7.txt
                               |- File8.txt

Now if I am recovering this folder into D:\Tracking (different destination folder), then it will recover the it as below structure:
-Folder1
     |- File1.txt
     |- File2.txt
     |- File3.txt
     |- File4.txt
     |- File5.txt
     |- File6.txt
     |- File7.txt
     |- File8.txt

Above structure you can see all subfolders files have been extracted to main folder only. No Folder have been extracted.

At the same time, recovering this folder into C:\Tracking (location is same as from where the data have been backed up), then it will recover the it as it had been backed up.

Hope to get your reply soon. As we have to recover the folders as soon as possible.

5 REPLIES 5

marcogsp
Level 6
I could not duplicate the error condition you experienced.  You could mount the image as a drive within the recovey point browser and do an old fashioned copy and paste to the alternate location.  It is not fancy, but it would get the task done.  Afterward you would dismount the temporary drive and close the recovery point browser.

vbjain
Level 3
Problem is that i am not taking the backup of C: or D:.

But i am taking the backup of files using "Files and Folders" Option.
So at destination it is creating one folder "File Backup Data" and in it files are stored as ".fbf" extension.

As you told i have to recover using recovery point browser but as this are the ".fbf" extension files how can i take the backup using them?

Following is the procedure we are using for backup:
1. On 'Home' click "Run or Manage Backups"
2. Select "Define New" in new Window.
3. Select "Back up selected files amd folders".
4. "Add Folders" to be backed up and click "Next"
5. Define the destination path and click "Next"
6. No need to define "Schedule", Click "Next"
7. Now select the "Run Backup Now" option and click "Finish"

And backup will be created. Go to destination and check the file structure have been created.

Following is the procedure we are using for recovering the backup:
1. On 'Home' click "Recover My Files"
2. Click on "File and Folder" in "Search In" list at left side
3. Write the folder name to be recover in "Find Files to recover:" textbox
4. Now click on "Search"
5. It will list out the related folders
6. Select the folder, double click on it, press cltrl + A to select all files and then press recover files.
7. Choose the different folder (for e.g, if you have backed up c:\tracking folder then recover it to other folder like D:\tracking or C:\Recovery)

Now check the recovered folder structure.

Now follow the same steps and at 7th Step instead of choosing different destination folder choose the same folder (for e.g, C:\Tracking only)

Now check the folder structure. You can fine the difference here.

Please suggest are we using the right procedure for back up of folders? Or there is any other ways to backup and restore the particular folders?

My requirement is to backup only few folders not whole drives.

Please suggest as soon as possible. I am using BESR 8.0.1.24976.

marcogsp
Level 6
I appologize for not seeing earlier that you were using file and folder backup.  I knew there was another reason that I didn't use the file and folder backup in BESR -- lousy file and folder redirection.

The only way I've been able to do it is to temporarily rename the original folder, then restore to the original location.  Then, move the restored top level folder to the alternate location with good ole cut and paste.  Of course, you have to remember to rename the renamed original folder in order to put everything right again.

If this is something you have to do on a regular basis, I suggest using NTBackup instead.  NTBackup can write its backups to a backup file (.bkf extension) so there is no need to use a tape drive.  If you are using an OS (like Vista) that doesn't have NTbackup, it can still be installed.  The backup utility in Vista is just as lousy as BESR's, but for other reasons.  Here is an article about instlling NTBackup on Vista. 

http://www.petri.co.il/installing_windows_xp_ntbackup_on_windows_vista.htm

vbjain
Level 3
That means the purchased version of BESR is not worth for us?
Or should i say BESR is only good for taking the backup of whole system not the individual folders?

I know the NTBackup. But  i also created one script through which whole folders will be copied to my local drive.
I found that way better then BESR Files and folders backup utility.

If someone found any solution for this issue then please share here then it will be meaningful to use BESR.

marcogsp
Level 6
Just my hunble opinion, with a few facts mixed in........

As a stand alone file and folder backup utility, BESR is not worth spending good money on.  I've worked with this product since version 1.0.  At its inception, this product was intended to be a sector by sector hot imaging utility for entire disks.  The logical purpose was then to use the resulting images as a means of disaster recovery.

I applaud the additions such as Restore AnyWare, Cold Imaging from the SRD, and custom SRD creation. However,  I think the addition of file and folder backup needs a serious reworking to resemble the functionality of Backup Exec for Windows servers.  I'm not saying it has to be excatly the same, but something better than the awkward interface and capabilities of the current offering.  Perhaps the difficutly stems from trying to make a sector level copying tool into file and folder backup tool as well.  Of course we the end user do not have access to the source code, so we can't see the struggle to pair up complimentary yet sometimes conflicting backup technologies.