cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Question

The_Rabbit
Level 2

I'm so used to using the original Ghost 15 that now that I have Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 I'm a little confused.

When I backed up using Ghost I would see three partitions..... C drive, System and D drive

When I backed up my W8.1 machine, the R2 creates three v2i files

1. Name_C_Drive001.v2i
  2. Name_ESP0-2_Drive001.v2i
  3. Name_LocalDisk0-4_Drive001.v2i

I'm not sure as to which file is which.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

1. Is #1 the C partition?
  2. Is #2 the  System partition?
  3. Is #3 the entire platter including all partitions and the two recovery partitions?

If I need to just recover C drive, do I use #1?

If I need to recover the entire platter, do I use #3?

Anybody......  HELP!

6 REPLIES 6

The_Rabbit
Level 2

Oh, by the way.... What does the 0-2 mean on #2 and what does the 0-4 mean on #3?

criley
Employee Accredited

2 and 3 are related partitions such as MSR and WinRE. The following may help to explain better:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/hh825686.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If you need to recover the machine, you would need to restore all 3 partitions.

Hope this helps.

criley
Employee Accredited

And the following may help:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129112

The_Rabbit
Level 2

Thank you, Chris.  I will read both articles.  But before I do....

After I booted to the recovery disk, I attempted to click on all three items so that they were all checked.  The software only allowed me to leave one item checked.  So... 

Questions:  Do need to recover each item individually?  I can't do them all at the same time?

criley
Employee Accredited

Please refer to the Symantec article I mentioned above.

Take a look at the section for restoring. You will see that if you select 'System' from the drop-down menu, this allows you to select the system index file. This will ensure that all partitions that were backed up will be restored.

DStain
Level 5

All I do is use "control" and highlight all partitions that I need to recover. Eg., on my multi boot machine I backup by highlighting C:,D:, E: and F: and when I recover choose the recovery point and highlight all partitions and SSR will recover them in order.

Deric