cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Dell 2800 to 2950

scubacy
Not applicable

I'm trying to restore a valid image created off-site to a newer  Dell 2950 from a 2800 machine; both are raid 5, 2003 OS using livestate recovery 6.0. For some reason no destination drive appears after browsing for the back-up.  It looks like a raid controller issue? 
When I tried restoring to a virtual disk, it restores and then boots to black screen, or hangs up the drivers in safe mode but this might be a separate issue...

Thank you
5 REPLIES 5

AJT
Level 6

Search this forum for SRD 2003 raid issues. For P2V tell me about your virtual machine.

Hope this helps :)

ioniancat21
Level 5
AJT is going in the right direction. I'd also like to say that first of all, Dell and other OEM computers can present problems as their drivers are proprietary and customized for their machines which makes things harder for BESR. Also I've had issues when Dell BIOS settings have drives set to AHCI or RAID. With AHCI, I can set the drive to be say IDE, restore the image, then before booting, go back to BIOS and reset the drive back to it's native AHCI. As far as RAID is concerned, hanging on that black screen is basically BESR trying to initiate the mini-setup and hanging on what is most likely a missing or incorrect driver. When resotring to a VM, since their's no RAID in the VM, you once again hanging on mini-setup as the drivers for the RAID are no longer viable. Make sure you've disconnected any USB drives before mini-setup launches as this has made me hang similarly during this phase of the restore.

Good luck.......

AJT
Level 6

I agree with ioniancat21, I've had trouble with AHCI .vs. native mode, but with SATA drives. I've also encountered problems if I've set in my BIOS to boot from USB and then had a non-bootable USB attached to my PC. Windows would then not boot and give error.

Hope this helps :)

Symanticus
Level 6

yes that is true, try to use the BESR 8.5 or 2010 SRD and see if the restore process is successfull ?

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Everyone's focusing on the VM thing but from what I understood of the original post scubacy made he was just mentioning the VM thing as a secondary item - the main issue still being the P2P restore from a 2800 image to a new 2950 machine. I apologize if I'm misinterpreting though. 

The only reason I'm pointing this out is that I have a customer with a 2800 that someday I will need to move over to a newer model and would definitely like to avoid problems.  So far the info about the BIOS stuff is very helpful.

TTT for this thread.  :)