cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRD doesn't see my WD Passport (USB hard drive)

Unomat
Level 2
When I boot SRD (both default or custom made on same computer), it doesn't see my Western Digital Passport USB hard drive (model WD1600U017). Only reason I got this drive is to use it as a backup drive and backup works fine, but apparently restore is not so easy.
WD doesn't offer any additional drivers for this drive so I'm not sure what to do in order for SRD to see my backup drive.
I used Vista to make custom SRD. When making SRD it says it doesn't recognise graphic card and multimedia card reader but no mention of USB hard drive. .
4 REPLIES 4

Guido_Langendor
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I have had the same issue on several occassions. It is my believe it is more of a hardware issue as the USB port seems to be initiated on different moments with different hardware.
So, to test if this is the issue for you to, start SRD (from BESR8?) without USB connected and test the following scenarios:
- When the "Press F6 key ..." appears, plug your usb disk
- As soon as the Windows colour screen appears, plug your USB disk
- When you get the EULA, plug your usb disk
For every scenario, let SRD start and check if you can see your disk
For my environment I needed to wait until 40-60% ot the "F6" msg befor I can plug my usb disk and have it recognized...
Regards

Unomat
Level 2
Thanks, will try it later today. Not sure about F6 screen? Is it something specific to your computer as I don't remember seeing a screen with press F6....?

Unomat
Level 2
This worked. I plugged USB hard drive when windows from SRD started loading and it recognized it.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You can also, when in the SRD fully, plug in the USB drive and use Windows Explorer (i.e. Analyzed | Explore my compuer) to see if the drive appears. If not, open a command prompt (i.e. Analyze | Open Command shell) and use diskpart | rescan option to see then the USB drive can be detected. As a tip, be sure to long format the drive NTFS, then leaving the default file system that comes with the drive, when using this drive as a storage location for this product.