cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2011 - Need solution backing up to external USB drives

Taxi2rwy27
Not applicable

Hello,

I have one Windows (2003) server being backed up by SSR 2011.

We backup to external USB drives only.

I would like a solution where each morning I can swap the drive. However, because the backup job is assigned to a device, the job will fail the next night because a different USB drive is attached. (Same drive letter different device).

I think this question has been asked many times, but I can not find any solutions.

Could I use the offsite copy feature? I can have one external usb drive permanately connected that will automatically copy to one of the other usb drives?

I would like to just backup each night, and have my client change the drive in the morning without doing anything more.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

criley
Employee Accredited

Offsite copy is the best option here.

Use drive #1 as your permanently attached primary backup destination and drive #2 as the offsite copy location - this drive can be removed as and when required.

Hope that helps.

legaleagle
Level 4

In the above question there are 2 drives, 1 permanently connected and 1 being changed daily.

How would it work where there is only 1 drive which is being changed? Do I simply enable offsite? There is also a tick 'Prompt to start a copy...' Does that affect whether I have to do anything in addition to swapping the drive?

Thanks