cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2011 SBS - How to restore original letter units ??

ITGS
Level 3

I backed up an old sbs 2003 server with three partitions and two cd / rev unit.

In the original server the letter assignment is in this way:

C: (HD primary partion OS)

D: (DVD Rom)

E: (Iomega Rev unit)

F: (HD second Extended partition containig server data (exchange, sql, users folder,etc..)

G: (HD third Extended partition)

Unfortunately, the second and the third hard partition was created after the os installation and they assume the firs unit letter after the dvd unit and iomeg rev unit.

The new server don't have the iomega rev unit and when I restore the backup the second partition assume "E:" letter unit causing system crash and services corruption.

How can I determine and fix the unit letter partition letter unit before restoration ?

Thank you for support

3 REPLIES 3

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Do you recall when you restore the images did you choose to use the system index file (i.e. *.Sv2i) or by file name? Were you presented a window in the restore wizard where there is an EDIT button on the right hand side and check boxes on the left asking if you want to perform a restore anyware option &/or run a verify before restoring. It is at this screen where you would choose the Edit button per image restore (i.e. Restore each image in the order at which they originally appear on the source machine one at a time) and select the option to preserve the original disk signature. This should maintain the drive lettering as on the original system. This method though would re-quire a re-restore of the image files? Was Windows disk management of the recovered system unable to change the drive letter after the restore?

-Dave 

ITGS
Level 3

I restored the server booting from System Recovery Disk 2011 choosing the system index file (.sv2i) and the wizard did not present me any ability to edit the process. The "preserve original disk signature" and "Restore Anywhere option" were selected automatically.

Yes... I was able to change letter unit from Windows disk management but the problem is that there are some critical files in the extended partitions (exchange db files, sharepoint, user files, log files,etc..) and when server restart this create several issue and services crash.

My answer is: why letter unit assignement was not preserved ?

Thank you for support

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If possible, I would re-attempt the restore w/o the use of the system index file (i.e. use the VIEW | By Filename) and within the recovery wizard, the Edit button should then present itself. Use this to specify the disk signatures on the dynamic partition to perserve its disk signatures.

-Dave