cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Restore - 9gb = 9hours

GusGormen
Level 3
Hi Folks

My 9gb backup to another server share takes about 30mins to backup, I am now restoring from the other server over the network, and it's taken about 9hrs.  i used symantec recovery point browser to point to the remote server that contains the image, i slected the folder i require to be restore, then selected an alternative restore folder, then clicked restore.  it is painful!!

All servers are HP DL380 G5's, all have 1gb NICs, Switches are all HP procurve 2810-48g. s connected with fibre patch, cat 6 cable connects servers to switches.

Any help much appreciated.

thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Tianxiang_Chua
Level 3
Hi Gus,

Your server HDD are on which type of Raid? And which type of HDD?

GusGormen
Level 3
Hi thanks for the reply

The servers are setup with a P400 Smart Array SCSI Controller

The data logical drive is using  a RAID 5 array, using 4 x 136gb scsi drives, HP Part no: HP DG146ABAB4, which is where the data is being restored to and from.  There is also a system logical drive which is set for disk mirroring, and use ing 2 x 136gb scsi drives.

All servers have the same.

An update to the call, it has now taken over 48 hours to do 7.5gb of the restore.

Many thanks

Scott

GusGormen
Level 3
In contrast to this, i've just done a restore for the same data, to and from the same servers as the LIvestate software is using, and it took a good old 15 mins!  Good old Microsoft NTBackup, 9gb in 15 mins as a restore.

There is obviosuly a serious issue with my Symantec install, i also use Symantec Backup Exec 11,  i'll test the restore time on that, using the same servers etc, and report back here.

Thanks

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Gus,

So, you're using the Image Browser utility within Windows (meaning you didn't boot the system to the Symantec Recovery Disk) to recover a folder from within a recovery point located on a network share, and the folder being recovered contains about 9GB worth of files, correct?

Can you tell me what version of BESR you are using?  Is it version 6.5?

What happens if you try and mount the recovery point, and then manually browse the mounted drive letter and copy the folder out that way?

Thanks.

GusGormen
Level 3
Yes i use the symantec recovery point browser v 6.5.4.20306 to restore files as required.

having tried to test another restore about 1gb, i went through the process of selection of folders to recover, and point to a restore folder, then at the initial scanning and recovering the server just hung, maybe 8 hours later i got an error message " internal error ebab03e8:internal application error".

This issue is the same on all 3 servers!  Majority of my restore data is from an old 16bit dos database called Opera, by Pegasus.  There are thousands of .txt files if that has anything to do with it.

cheers

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hi Gus,

This issue is now on the radar of the Symantec CRT team.  Hopefully an update with how they plan to address this issue will be available very soon.  I will update you when I have more information.

Thanks.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
I received an update on this issue today.  The issue is being worked on, and a hot fix (I presume this means an updated version of the BESR 6.5 "V2iBrowser.exe" is expected to be available around the end of this month.

Thanks.

GusGormen
Level 3
Hi Bill

Many thanks for that, it has been quite frustrating trying to restore.  Luckily i use backup exec and ntbackup as fail safes.

The issue also occurs when there are quite a few subdirectories and files under one folder.  I tried to restore a directory with a quite a few subdirectories and i got the same error.  When i browsed the folder and selected all the subdirectories rather than the top folder,  it restored about 45% then mysteriously closed the program down.  it does this every time.

I have managed to restore small amounts of files ie 2 or 3.

Thanks for all the help

GusGormen
Level 3
Very strange

I've just found the v2ibrowser.exe on the install cd.

i copied the file locally onto my xp machine, and run it.  i browsed to one of my v2i backups, and tried the restore that i've had issues with.  it works!!

Do you think the issue is with Windows 2003 Server?

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

I received an update on this issue today, after following up with the support organization.  Work on an updated BESR 6.5 "V2iBrowser.exe" application to address this issue is nearing completion.

I hope to provide information on obtaining the update before the end of the week (hopefully in the next day or two).

Thanks.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello everyone,

You should be able to download the updated V2iBrowser app for BESR 6.5 using the following KB article:

Thanks.

GusGormen
Level 3
hi Bill

Thanks for the update, i've tested it this weekend and these are my results:
a) from my win2k3 server, recovering files from a distribution share to local machine, 537mb takes approx 4 hrs.
b) from my winxp machine, using the same shares and backup file, the same process takes 10 minutes.

Is there an issue with win2k3?  are there any log files i can check on my server to see what it is trying to do,  this is a top spec machine so shouldn't have any issues.

Kind regards