cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow performance with SSR 2011

swixt
Level 4

i have a new 2008 R2 Server that i have SSR 2011 installed on.  i use a remote machine to backup the image to and it can take up to 30hours to complete.  i haven't had time to let it run that long but it has run for 24 and still had hours left to complete.

the only 'data' on this Server for the moment is AD and users folders which is about 100GB.  what do i need to check to get it functional. 

thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Is the remote machine a server or a NAS device ? We had a similar problem when the backup target was a server which was simply not capable of taking writing the backup files to disk fast enough.

You might also try the following performance registry keys:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125631

swixt
Level 4

hi, yes it is a Dedicated Workstation with TB drives in it.  funny thing is i have BESR running on another 2003 R2 Server and have that pointed to the same dedicated Workstation and have no issues with it.

each have their own respective directory that holds the jobs. 

i use BackupExec 2010R3 to do tape backups of the same machines using the agents.  in fact i have 4 Servers that i backup to tape and that entire 320gb job takes about 6hrs. or so with the verify.

i simply use SSR and BESR as secondary backups and point those to a dedicated machine with some TB drives in it.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you tried the performance registry keys yet ?

swixt
Level 4

nope, not yet... trying to get some base lines results 'as suggested' before i mess with it.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

OK, please let us know when you did.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have applied the performance regstry keys in the meanwhile ?

mustard_man
Level 4

So have you tried a file copy from the machine with issues to network destination , try a 5 gb file transfer and let us know

howmuch time does it take to Finish backups to a locall attached device ?

Also it could b a network throttling issue/ load ..try splitting the file sizes from backup job optons

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee

You might want to check the file fragmentation level on the source server. Even small amount of fragmentation can cause things to slow down.