cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec System Recovery 2011

Domapro
Level 3

I am trying to setup a backup scenario whereby i backup the C drive on the computer M-F.  I am assumming that a checkpoint is automatically created each time (these are full drive backups), however when i go into "Run and Manage backups" I see that a new checkpoint is being created on Sunday's.  Can someone explain what this is about?

Also is there documentation out there showing backup scenarios and how to set them up in Symantec System Recovery 2011?

13 REPLIES 13

criley
Employee Accredited

What do you mean by a checkpoint?

Do you mean a new full backup? If yes, check the schedule to see when a new full (set) is set to be created.

Domapro
Level 3

Sorry. I meant "Recovery  point"

i have full backups of the c drive scheduled for 2:00am M-F...so I am confused when i see a seperate entry for a recovery point on Sunday early morning.

criley
Employee Accredited

Go to 'Run or Manage Backups', select the backup and click on 'Change Schedule'. Please provide a screenshot of the schedule screen.

Domapro
Level 3

I have attached the screenshot...notice that I have backups set for M-F...but there is also a new recovery point set on Sunday....Can you explain why this is appearing when I am doing full backups M-F of the C drive?

Many thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

Look at the bottom of that screen - the job is configured to do a custom weekly full backup every Sunday..

Domapro
Level 3

Since I am doing full backups M-F at 6:00am, do i need this custom backup on Sunday?

criley
Employee Accredited

That's entirely up to you. It depends on your requirements when it comes to restore time.

I can't answer that I'm afraid..

Domapro
Level 3

Ok,,so if I come into my office one morning and my computer will not even boot up..i want to be able to do a full restore from my last C drive backup the night before...does my schedule in the attachment provide for that and also if I remove the sunday custom backup?

criley
Employee Accredited

Your schedule shows you are backing up Monday-Friday so unless things are changing over the weekend, I think you are covered.

Domapro
Level 3

ok two last questions

1).I can safely remove the sunday event  because my recovery points are being generated anew each night?

2) is there additional educational online opportunities for Symantec System Recovery.  I feel like I want to understand the product better than what's provided in the user manual?

thank  you so much for staying in touch with me through this inquiry.

Carl Doebel

Joedoebs@msn.com

criley
Employee Accredited
  1. Correct. You are backing up Mon-Fri. You only need to run backups at the weekend if things are changing during that time. If something went wrong on Sunday night for example, your restore would take you back to Friday so you would lose any changes on Sat/Sun. It really depends how critical any possible changes over the weekend are..
  2. Take a look at the videos available here which might help you:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/videos

Domapro
Level 3

Question...The computer that i loaded my Symantec System Recovery on died and i need to load the backup software onto my new computer that i just bought to replace it.

How do i go about transferring the license?

Thank you

Carl Doebel

joedoebs@msn.com

criley
Employee Accredited

How do i go about transferring the license?

You just need to manually enter the license on the new machine.

Please mark this thread as solved once all your questions have been answered.