cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2010 Management Solution is not supported on Microsoft Windows 2008 x64

Sebata
Not applicable
Hi

I am trying to install Symantec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution on Windows 2008 R2 SP2 but get the following error message. Does somebody have a solution?

Error.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Correct. Support for Windows 2008 is in the works, and we are hoping for a release date in the coming months. Although you cannot see what is going on 'behind the curtain', the development is happening. Do subscribe to the technote, or follow the Symantec web site, where the announcement of the release will be made.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

chvgms
Level 5
Hi,

At this time, BESR-MS is only supported on Windows 2003 32bit.

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_System_Recovery_Server_Edition/336534.pdf

Thanks,
Sridhar

HAMZAOUI_Omar
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi,

BESR MS is only sypported on a W2K3 32 bits, and this server can't  have Domain Controler function.

thanks

nilesf
Level 3
You got to be kidding! Nice job Symantec! When can Server 2008 users see a version that will install on Server 2008 x86 and x64?

Thanks
Niles

petrolhead
Level 4

This must be a SP2 issue as it works on Win 2008 R2 no service packs

samscott
Level 2
When will this be corrected?  Need this ASAP!!!

nilesf
Level 3
Petrohead, what flavor of Server 2008 R2 are you running (e.g. x86, x64) and is System Recovery 2010 Management Console or just  the client?

Thanks,
Niles

JonGaskell
Level 2
Partner
Can somebody please explain this to me?  I'm really glad that Symantec supports an opperating system that's 6 years old with their brand new software, but we're in the progress of migrating AWAY from 2003.  I don't want to have to extend the life of a 2003 server, nor do I want to have to implement a 2003 server for this, but I also would prefer to avoid individually managing 10 BESR installations.  Are there any other solutions? Has anybody tried installing in Windows 2003 compatibility mode?

Petrolhead, I'd also like to know more about your configuration.  As nilesf mentioned, are you talking about BESR 2010 Management Console, or just BESR 2010 for Servers?

nilesf
Level 3
JonGaskell, I installed Server 2008 R2 x64 to see if BESR 2010 Management Console would install. Even tried several compatibility modes with no luck. I think that BESR 2010 MC will run on Server 2008, but we need to find away to get the install to stop the OS check. If one could do that I think we will be in luck.

Petrohead, pleas let us know your solution.

Thanks,
Niles 

petrolhead
Level 4
Sorry for the late reply, I am also busy testing BESR10 with mixed results.

Back to you problem.

I am running Windows 2008 R2 Standard 64bit with no SP2 (Is there SP1 yet) as its a fresh install and running the trail copy of BESR 2010.

Are you sure your running Windows 2008 R2 or just Windows 2008 with SP2 installed

petrolhead
Level 4
Just updates my version of 2008 R2 and its not even up to SP1 so I assume your using just 2008 which there is a SP2

petrolhead
Level 4
I also have just installed Windows 2008 SP2 x64 and BESR10 installed fine

nilesf
Level 3

Yes, Server 2008 R2 x64. I think the confusion here is that most of us are talking about the BESR 2010 Management Solution. I can install the BESR 2010 Agent, not BESR 2010 MS.

SRV2008R2X64_BESR2010.jpg

Michael_Lewis
Level 2
What gets me is that BESR Manager Version 8.5 works just fine on server 2008. Then they release a new version and it doesn't work with 08! I think I'll be sticking with the old version for a while.

dale_m1
Level 4
Hello,

Just following along...

As I understand things, the BESR 2010 Management Solution cannot be installed on anything later than Server 2003 R2, though the BESR 2010 client, as advertised, supports clients running all flavors of Server 2008.  For those who would like to have the Management Solution running on a Server 2008 R2 box, like myself, does anyone know if the BESR Manager V8.5 will run on Server 2008 and provide complete functionality with BESR 2010 clients? 

Thank you

ioniancat21
Level 5
I just heard from a good source that BESR-MS 2010 will be receiving an update next week. Even better, after the update, you'll be able to install BESR-MS on Windows NT Server and Windows 3.11 for Workgroups!!! Yipee................

Sorry, I just thought a good joke was needed right about now as I too have witnessed the madness..........

Troy_Forsythe
Level 2
It's been several months since the issue of BESR Management Solutions incompatibility with Windows 2008 R2 have been brought up, and yet there still remains no solution.  I cannot understand how Symantec can release a new version of a product and not have any plans for support of current operating systems.  Despite having a very powerfull new Windows 2008 R2 server that was to be used for infrastructure software like BESR, I'm going to have to keep an old out of warranty box to load on Windows 2003 so that I can manage the nearly 100 BESR clients in my environment, it's simply not acceptable.

I'd like to get some idea of the number of people who are facing this issue who are around these forums.  If you read this thread and are experiencing the issue, please post a note.  With enough feedback we may be able to get some action happening on this.  And even if you are currently running with Windows 2003 as your management server, realize you're stuck there until they update the product.

Troy.

Muri123
Level 2
I run Management C 8.55 on an old 2003R2 x64 Server - 85 BESR-Clients. Everything works fine.

Now I plan to buy new Licenses for a new Domain with 130 Clients and some new W2008-R2 Servers. Of course I would like to buy BESR2010 Licenses.

As long as Symantec Management Console 2010 doesn´t run on x64 OS I think about Acronis Products, because I MUST install this new environment NOW - and not in any future, when probably there will be a management 2010 Release of Sym.

Is this mess with x64 only because of the database (former 8.55 database is NOT SQL - but the 2010 MC-Database is?)????

If there is any employe of Symantec reading this thread in this forum - may be there will be a statement and a reliable word of the time, when MC2010 will run on x64 and w8kr2.

Thanks in advance

Muri

Troy_Forsythe
Level 2
Muri,

I'm currently waiting for a callback from a contact of mine that may be able to shed some additional light on when a console might be available.  If I do hear from him I'm going to encourage him to post something in this thread.  In the meantime, I spoke with a support manager at Symantec, and I was told that one of the ways that solutions get prioritized is by the number of people who subscribe to KB articles.

With this in mind, I encourage anyone who is concerned about the issue of BESR Management Solution not working on a Windows 2008 R2 server to subscribe to the KB article found at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/336404.htm

You can do this by going to the article, and clicking on the link which is titled 'Subscribe to receive critical updates about this document' which is just below the Last Updated date near the bottom of the page.  Symantec apparently tracks the number of subscribers and factors this in while determining case priority.

The other way that issues are prioritized is by the calls coming into technical support.  So, if you have a support contract with Symantec for BESR please call in and open a case for this issue.  The more people who do so, the higher the priority this becomes.

Thanks,
Troy.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Correct. Support for Windows 2008 is in the works, and we are hoping for a release date in the coming months. Although you cannot see what is going on 'behind the curtain', the development is happening. Do subscribe to the technote, or follow the Symantec web site, where the announcement of the release will be made.