cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2010

NeilCatterill
Level 2

Hi,

Recently have been experiencing problems with System Recovery 2010. I would like the destination of back up to be just the drive letter rather then the name of the back up device. I change back but always changes to the name a back up device and there doesn't seem to be a pattern. It's fine when the correct named back up device is plugged in but if the name is wrong the back up fails. Is there a way to fix this problem? I thought about reinstalling the software but I wanted to see if other solutions before I go ahead and try this.

Cheers

Neil

3 REPLIES 3

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If the drive letter  mapping changes, the SSR job will also need to be edited. This is working as designed. BESR opens a direct connection to the backup location and retains that information in the job itself, which is why that UNC appears when you edit the job.

NeilCatterill
Level 2

Thank you for reply. But there a way around this please?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You could set up more than one backup job, launching the backup for the backup location that coincides with whatever location you desire. However you do it, the destination for the job is retained in the job itself. Once that changes, the backups will also fail.

The exception to this rule is with off-site. You can designate an off-site by drive letter. So you could create a static backup location and use the offsite feature to copy that to a particular drive letter, even if the location that coincides changes.