cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using "Connect Anyware" for migrating from XP to W7 pc

Dave_McD
Not applicable

(ssr2011)

How do you restore a recovery point for two computers while keeping the newer OS?

I'm aware of the basics on how to use the "Restore Anyware" feature, but what i want to do is a restore on a new W7 pc with the recovery point of another pc with XP and all the while keeping W7 as the OS.        How should i go about doing this?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are you intending on having a dual boot system, or just accessing the data from the XP image? If the former, the recovery disk does not have an option to do dual boot.

You can restore the XP image to another drive / partition in the system, or even an external USB drive. To be safe, I recommend performing the restore from SSR within Windows. (As you are not restoring the image to be booted, it is not necessary to use RestoreAnywhere on the recovery disk.) After the restore is complete, you can then access all of that data.

If you don't have another drive but still want to access the data, install SSR on a machine. From that machine, browse to the image (.v2i) file, right-mouse click on it, and select 'mount'. This will create a virtual drive that contains all of the data as if you had restored it. You can then copy and paste and data from this virtual drive onto a physical drive.