cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2011

cfhoward4
Level 2

I am currently using System Recovery 2011 for SBS on a Dell server with and RD1000 with 500 gig drives.  I have the system setup with 2 restore point and set to automatically optimize storage.  When the job runs it does not delete the oldest restore point and the job just sits there until I cancel the job.  If I set it to automatically optimize storage shouldn't delete the older restore point and run the backup job?  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

7 REPLIES 7

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

cfhoward4
Level 2

Markus:

Thanks fo the response.  Your answer does match it somewhat.  Let me explain further.  I am backing up 200 gigs plus to a 500 gig RD1000 so I have 2 recovery points but not enough room for a third.  So coming from the old Backup Exec tape world my expectation is the system will recognize the disk is full and erase the first recovery point and add a new one, is this not correct?  Do I need to go to a file level back up and buy a new 1 TB drive to do once a week complete backups?  New to this product.

Current seetings are attacted.

Thanks,

Chris

criley
Employee Accredited

so I have 2 recovery points but not enough room for a third

I think this is the problem.

Even though you have it set to 2, it actually needs room for 3. This is because backup #3 needs to complete before #1 can be removed. It's done this way for obvious reasons; we cannot remove a backup until we know that new backup is complete/successful.

You have 2 options:

1. Decrease the number of backups to be kept to 2
  2. Buy a bigger disk so that you have enough room to keep 2 or 3 backups

Hope that helps.

cfhoward4
Level 2

Chris:

Thanks.  I thought that might be the issue. 

So when you say keep 2 backups is that one set point?  backups to me are all about symantecs (no pun intended) so I want to make sure I understand what you mean.  I am  considering buying  larger drives but this is a new deployment and I based my new backup solution on what I had been backing up to an older version of Backup Exec.

Thanks,

Chris

criley
Employee Accredited

I was talking about sets (set=full+incrementals) as that is what the setting in the backup job refers to.

cfhoward4
Level 2

Thanks Chris for your help.

criley
Employee Accredited

No problem. Please mark thread as solved.