cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery of the Backup Server

Christopher_Owe
Level 3
How does one recover the backup server that Recovery Server SBS is installed on when a bare-metal restore is required?

Thanks,
 Christopher Owen
9 REPLIES 9

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

The recovery points created by Backup Exec System Recovery contain all the information needed to recreate the system from scratch (i.e. bare metal).  The operating system, application files, data files, information about the file system itself, etc are all contained in the recovery point. 

When recoverying to a new/different hardware configuration, the restore anyware feature of Backup Exec System Recovery ensures that the recovery point, once restored to the new system, will boot properly (i.e. correct mass storage controller driver, correct HAL, etc).

Thanks.

Christopher_Owe
Level 3
Bill,

I understand that, I believe.  The piece that I am missing is, what happens if the Backup Server itself fails?

This is particularly a problem when using the Recovery Server SBS product... when the server that needs backup is the SBS /and/ it is the server that the tape drive or storage is connected to?

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

Okay, I think I understand now.  :)  If not, please keep working with me, as I believe I am teachable.

BESR is a disk-based backup solution, meaning that we support writing to disk and optical storage mediums (local hard disks, USB/Firewire, NAS, SAN, network locations, writable CD/DVD drives, etc).  If a backup created with BESR made its way onto tape, it was placed there by a means external to BESR (there's nothing wrong with doing that by the way).

If whatever disk or other media type that contains the BESR backups failed, then it's possible those backups would not be recoverable, depending of course on the type of failure, whether the device could be repaired, etc.  In your example, if the disk drives within a server (to which backups were stored) failed, then any backups stored to those drives might not be recoverable.

If the media on which backups were stored remained valid, then they could simply be connected to a different, working system and recovered from there.  The backups created by BESR (.v2i files) are stand alone backups, meaning they have no true connection or reliance to the system that was responsible for writing them to disk.  For example, if a USB drive was connected to an SBS server, and several systems within the network backed up to that USB drive, if the SBS server failed the USB drive could simply be connected to a different system and the backups could be recovered just fine.

Let me know if I've missed the mark again.  I hope I didn't just confuse the issue further.

Thanks.

Christopher_Owe
Level 3
This information is excellent!  I didn't realize that this was the case.

I guess what I'll end up doing then is to setup a disk-to-disk-to-tape solution.

So, if the server drops, is it possible to restore from the tape using one of those fancy recovery cds without having a backup server installed and configured or is the product not quite there yet?

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Yep.

The recovery points (what we call the backups we create) have no reliance on the product actually being installed.  Once they are created, all you need is the media with the backups and the recovery CD.

Thanks.

Christopher_Owe
Level 3
In summary,  the following scenario is feasible:

1) Install Windows SBS
2) Configure Applications
3) Install Symantec backup software
4) Take "backup"/"recovery point"
5) Store to tape

~time passes

6) SBS server breaks badly
7) Fix whatever hardware problem exists (there is no operating system on the SBS server)
8) Place recovery CD in the SBS server
9) Restore recovery point from the connected tape drive
A) Enjoy a working system with a downtime of <4 hours.

yes?

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Close...

The only issue would be restoring directly from the tape drive.  The recovery point would probably need to be available to us from a disk media of some kind (i.e. local hard disk, USB, Firewire), from a network location (Windows share, NAS/SAN) or optical drive like a CD/DVD.  I'm not sure if we could read from the tape drive directly.

The same is true when creating the image.  It would need to be stored to one of the above locations first, then moved to tape via another method. 

Other than that, you are correct.

Christopher_Owe
Level 3
Any chance that we could put in a feature request for restoring from tape media?

BillGordon
Not applicable
We have renamed the backup server, now it appears that we are unable to connect to the database.