cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trial Version Limited?

1st_Layers
Level 2
I downloaded the trial of Backup Exec System Recovery for Win Server 2003 Small Business.  I was issued a temporary key to enable it for 30 days.  I was able to install the software on the source computer.  I was able to go through the motions of a restore on another server.  When I reboot the destination server, I get the Windows splash screen, and then it immediately reboots.  No boot mode can get me past this.  I was told by the Symantec sales that the trial was fully functional, but I had a Symantec pre-sales engineer tell me that it would not permit the restore.

Does anyone have a straight answer on this.  My interest in purchasing this is just for restoring to dissimilar hardware.  If I cannot test it, I don't want to drop the $$$.

If the software IS fully functional, then I will have to figure out why my destination server won't boot.

Thanks,
Mike Bruno
1st Layers Consulting
2 REPLIES 2

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

The restore anyware feature of BESR is disabled in the trial version.  Trial mode is enabled when the product is installed and no license key is provided.

If you received a temporary license key that enables restore anyware, then that feature should have been functional.  If you were able to check the "Restore Anyware" option when restoring the recovery point, then that means the feature was enabled.

Was the "Restore Anyware" option available when you performed the restore?

Thanks.

1st_Layers
Level 2
Duh! (on my part).  I didn't read the documentation and didn't realize the option was hidden under there.  I just clicked 'Restore My Computer'.  I found and enabled the 'Restore Anywhere' option and it is now in the process of locating and installing drivers for the new hardware.

Thanks,
Mike