cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to create a SRD with SP4

Gonad
Level 4

Having just updated my two computers (Dell PC and Toshiba laptop) with SP4, I thought I'd try and create a new recovery disk.

On both computers I get the following:

You are not creating the Symantec System Recovery Disk on the latest operating system (Windows 10) that is supported by the product. You can use this recovery disk to restore only Windows 8.1/2012 R2 Server and earlier.

Both computers are fully up to date and running Windows 10 1511 OS Build 10586.29

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas please?

Alan

20 REPLIES 20

CQ
Level 5

Hi,

I would install the latest version of the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit for Windows 10,  It sounds like you updated 2 machines from Win 8.1 to Win 10.  When you create your SRD are you choosing typical or advanced?  If you install the Win ADK for Win 10 and use advanced to create the SRD I believe you will be good to go.  I just tested making a typical SRD on a machine I had upgraded and get the same error you do.  I believe typical still sees the win 8.1 Recovery environment and that is why we get the error. 

CQ

Gonad
Level 4

Yes you are correct. They were both upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and I was trying to create a typical SRD. I'll try your suggestion but this is a bug that Veritas needs to address.

Thanks,

Alan

Gonad
Level 4

Just noticed that the Windows 10 ADK download is 4.4GB!!!

Do I really need to download and install the whole thing?

This is ridiculous just to allow me to create a recovery disk!

Is there another simpler way?

CQ
Level 5

Gonad,

I don't think this is a "new" problem but since millions have upgraded to Win 10 from an older OS the issue will be much more prevalent with SR SP4.  I doubt Veritas can even legally distribute ADK 10 with their product.  I actually participated in the SP4 Beta but have always used the ADK approach so I never noticed what you pointed out.  I knew I would need the Win 10 ADK so I just downloaded and installed it.  As people buy new machines with Win 10 installed this issue will disappear over time.  However I believe Veritas needs to make this issue much clearer in the SRD creator for those who migrated from an older OS to Win 10.  I am sure support's phone will be ringing off the hook for users who will be confused about the need for ADK 10.

FYI this issue is not limited to just Veritas. Many months ago I took a look at Acronis Imaging software and saw the possible need for the ADK mentioned for the creation of a SRD. Thank you Microsoft :\ . 

Good luck!

CQ

criley
Employee Accredited

Just noticed that the Windows 10 ADK download is 4.4GB!!!

Do I really need to download and install the whole thing?

No, you don't need to install the whole thing. Details here: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH225888

I will look into the error/warning you are seeing.

criley
Employee Accredited

I can reproduce the issue you reported (You are not creating the Symantec System Recovery Disk on the latest operating system ...) and have now passed this over to our engineering team for investigation.

Current workaround is to use the advanced option when creating the SRD.

Gonad
Level 4

Chris,

You said that I don't need to download and install the whole thing.

However, the required Win PE component is about 3.3GB on its own!

I think I'll just wait for the fix :)

BJB
Level 5

Do I understand correctly if I am going to run SSR on a fresh installation of Windows 10 (new hard drive, not an upgrade of Win 10 or SSR)  I do NOT need the ADK and can create a "tyipcal" or "advanced" SRD or will this bug be a problem with my install also? I I am fine with just a typical SRD but an advanced is also mentioned as a workaround.  I am also new to now having an UEFI bios and wonder how that impacts the type of SRD or backups I create.  Thanks, BJB

Gonad
Level 4

I have another query about this problem:

You are not creating the Symantec System Recovery Disk on the latest operating system (Windows 10) that is supported by the product. You can use this recovery disk to restore only Windows 8.1/2012 R2 Server and earlier.

If I went ahead and created the SRD, why would I only be able to restore a Windows 8.1/2012 R2 installation and earlier?

The backup image at this stage is surely just a low level block of 0's and 1's and not recognised as any particular operating system.

Why specifically wouldn't I be able to restore a Windows 10 installation?

This has puzzled me for some time.

criley
Employee Accredited

Update ...

The fix for this issue (http://www.veritas.com/docs/000100493) is now available. Please open a support case to obtain the fix.

BJB
Level 5

Chris,  I setup a case to try to get the hotfix.  I got a call from support today and was told the hotfix cannot be released yet.  I tried to discuss public release vs. tech support hotfix but that distinction did not seem to make a difference.  He wanted me to send logs, do testing, etc.  I said it was a known issue and if there is a hotfix already I do not need or want to go through all that.  I am now supposed to get a call from an upper level support person.    Hopefully they can get me the hotfix......  Thanks, BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

BJB,

Can you please give me your case number and I will look into this.

BJB
Level 5

Chris,

Thanks, see PM.

BJB

ianjoneill
Not applicable

I am having the same problem, I created a case number, however I have not been offered the hotfix. I was asked to download ADK, but when I said I was on a metered connection, was simply told to just ignore the pop-up in the recovery disk creator - that doesn't seem right to me.

criley
Employee Accredited

ianjoneill,

I agree, that does not sound right. Can you please give me your case number and I will look into this for you.

Pedroped
Level 2

Hi,

on one of my laptops (Windows 10, updated from Windows 8.1) SSR 2013 SP4 doesn't recognize the installed "ADK for Windows 10".

What can be the reason for that ?

How does SSR try to recognize an installed ADK ?

Thanks,

PF

criley
Employee Accredited

PF,

There are a few checks that are done by SSR. I currently have a support case for 1 customer and this issue is under investigation.

Could you run REGEDIT and check what you see in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432\Microsoft\Windows Kits\Installed Roots

Pedroped
Level 2

Chris,

thank you for your answer.

Here is what I see at this location:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Kits\Installed Roots]
"KitsRoot81"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\"
"WindowsDebuggersRoot81"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Debuggers\\"
"{D7AFB282-B339-7B41-8763-B7A77B1F4BE2}"="WPTx64 x86"
"{C0AF2889-B34A-E9E1-2A96-1A9AF05AEFA9}"="WPT Redistributables x86"
"{0275DC52-C83E-3142-D2EF-70877F885663}"="Kits Configuration Installer x86"
"{BDEA8D68-D357-1072-8CB3-D4EECA1C1696}"="Kits Configuration Installer x86"
"{A39FBD48-EB13-DABD-3C8D-408E0E5945DF}"="WPTx64 x86"
"{76F2AD88-F60F-1A18-8B43-E00C537E5020}"="WPT Redistributables x86"
"{62FDD39D-29BD-5EF9-C52A-60F5D0ABD667}"="Toolkit Documentation x86"
"KitsRoot10"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\10\\"
"{62D8BE3F-BC1C-D0AF-2D20-724A7A8CFC3B}"="Windows Deployment Tools x86"
"{C293FDBC-272A-18C2-1375-7075D43E3961}"="Windows System Image Manager on amd64 x86"
"{66090BB1-7FDA-CBE2-6A42-3E6CAC9524F0}"="Windows Deployment Customizations x86"
"{54A240A6-0977-BC5C-2DD6-46BFD5078C6A}"="Windows PE x86 x64 x86"
"{31227284-FB19-E704-D794-71C0AA6F559A}"="Windows PE x86 x64 wims x86"

PF

criley
Employee Accredited

Pedroped,

That looks fine to me.

As I mentioned before, this issue is currently under investigation. Are you able to open a support case for this?