cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install BESR 8.5.3 on Win 2003

Robert_Ramin
Level 3
I'm installing BESR for a client who has four servers.  It will only install on their Windows 2000 server and not on their three Win 2003 servers.  They all do the same thing:  Installation starts and looks to be going fine, then the Status dialog comes up and says "Installing . ." and that's it.  There is no further notification and the progress bar does not move from the left to the right any more. 

These are all very clean servers with sp2 and all the latest relevant patches.  One of them is an Exchange Server.  Two are running McAfee Enterprise and one is running no antivirus at all.  I've tried clean booting all of them.  The last two lines of the installation log are:

InstallShield 15:05:24: Invoking script function InstallDrivers
Action 15:05:24: Installing . .. Installing . .

There are no errors in the server event logs.  I'm using the most recent download from the Symantec site, and also an earlier downloadof 8.5.1.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Robert
5 REPLIES 5

marcogsp
Level 6
Since the Win2k3 servers are at SP2, the scripting components should be up to date.  However, ther are a couple of things I can suggest.

First, check for drive framentation and defragment if necessary.  It seems odd that three servers would have drive fragmentation so bad as to fail software installations, but I have run into equally weird scenarios as a field service technician myself.

Perhaps the installation is stalling on the installation of the dot net components?  Could you try installing the dot net components separately, and see if that moves the installation along.

You could also try installing BESR while booted in safe mode to see if some boot time loaded process is interfering with the installation.

Best of Luck!

Marco

Ryan_Shaffer
Level 3
Installation hangs on "Installing Backup Exec System Recovery"  After several minutes, I click cancel, nothing happens.  I open task manager and end the Installx86 process and then the installation removes itself and requests a reboot.

I've tried installing using the EasyInstaller, as well as the downloaded product file for 8.5.3.

.NET 3.5 SP1 is installed on the machine.
Windows 2003 SP2

The strange thing is I installed it fine just a few weeks ago on another Win 2k3 server, but now I am unable to.  I have tried it on two different servers.

I also had a log file that seemed to stop during driver installation.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan_Shaffer
Level 3

During the installation, the SymDrvInstall.log file stops with the following entry:

LOG Event 1, installing class filter 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\wimfltr_09A49301578AA557C46CB5D1C7CA91C941BE8092\wimfltr.inf' Fri Jun 12 15:51:42 2009

I found what I assume to be a correct log file here: http://www.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/SymDrvInstall.txt

It looks as if the installation is nearly complete . . .

Thanks,

Ryan

pfx82
Level 4
support.veritas.com/docs/302194
The installation of Backup Exec System Recovery hangs and never completes

Ryan_Shaffer
Level 3

pfx82, that did it!

Interestingly, I reverted group policy for that setting, but did not modify the registry as indicated in the article.  All is well now.

Thanks a lot.

Ryan