cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 Update 1 in April

CQ
Level 5

Hi all,

With the release of SSR 2013 SP 2 a few weeks ago, SSR 2013 finally became compatible with Win 8.1.  Now I see that Microsoft is going to issue an update to 8.1 in April to furthur improve the software in a keyboard/mouse environment.

Will SSR 2013 SP2 be compatible with this update?  If not, does Symantec have a timeline to make SSR 2013 compatible again?

Thanks,

CQ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

Update 1 for Windows 8.1 wont be supported until later this year (sorry I don't have better news).

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH211263

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

criley
Employee Accredited

Let me check on this and get back to you ...

criley
Employee Accredited

Update 1 for Windows 8.1 wont be supported until later this year (sorry I don't have better news).

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH211263

CQ
Level 5

Thank you Chris. Not the answer I was hoping for but it is the answer I expected lol.  Until Windows 9,  I am sure this will be an ongoing issue as you play catch up with with Microsoft. 

CQ

lucasan65
Level 3

Hi, news of today. Microsoft if you do not install the update 1 from next month will no longer install updates. so What should we do? uninstall system recovery? Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you provide more details please. Do you have a link to an article for this news from Microsoft?

lucasan65
Level 3

CQ
Level 5

Check out this Technet article:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2014/04/07/exploring-windows-8-1-update-start-screen-d...

"It is a required update to keep your Windows 8.1 device current

• Failure to install this Update will prevent Windows Update from patching your system with any future updates starting with Updates released in May 2014 (get busy!) "

This really forces 8.1 users to to look at Backup alternatives or take a walk on the wild side and see if SSR 2013 SP2 will work.  Basically 3rd party software suppliers have a month to support the update or users will be stuck. 

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, I found that one yesterday.

I have already raised this again internally. Once I have some feedback, I will share it here.

JJF1312
Level 3

Hi.

hope I am at the right place for some advice.

I have just updated SSR2013 using Liveupdate and now have version 11.0.2.49853 installed.

Since the update I find that I get the AT RISK message even though I have run the backup and it is on the backup disk.  SSR2013 does not see it.

Can anyone help

Thanks

CQ
Level 5

Actually JJF1312 this thread is about compatibility between SSR 2013 SP2 and Windows 8.1 Update  1.

For your issue, look at the easy things first.  On the home page what is it telling you causes the AT RISK issue?  Job/log files might be corrupted.  Do you have an external drive attached that SSR might be seeing as AT RISK.  On the advanced tab what drive(s) do you see and do any have a green check mark?  You can also customize status reporting for individual drives.

Anguel
Level 4

Is this tech article just some kind of "legal" notice or does this update really need special support? It is strange because I was pretty sure that this was a minor update and I did not expect something to change that affects backup software behavior in any way.

SSR still seems to work ok on my Win 8.1 Update 1 test machine. And yes, Microsoft says that we should upgrade ASAP.

Anguel

criley
Employee Accredited

Anguel,

It's a statement that confirms we don't officially support Update 1 yet. The product may or may not work fine with update 1 but it's not been tested internally and 'certified' with this update.

This is not to say that you will be denied support should you open a support case for this version. However, if research finds that the root cause is update 1, we may not be able to do much for you (I think this scenario is unlikely to be honest).

Let me know if you have further questions.

Anguel
Level 4

Thank you Chris.

JJF1312
Level 3

Thanks CQ, but as all this happened AFTER updating Windows 8.1 update, I thought it may be relevent.

I am aware of all the fixes you suggest, but none of them were the problem.

What I had to do was delete all the old backups and then run a new one and this sorted the problem until I had to apply a further windows update the following day, at which point the same problem happened and was only cured by the same procedure.

Thanks for the Info all the same.

CQ
Level 5

Interesting.  I would like to know if yours is an anomaly or if you have found an incompatibility between Win 8.1 Update 1 and SSR 2013 SP2.  I certainly would hate to see us go through your experience every time MS issues an update. Perhaps Chris can shed some light on this and/or pass your experience on to the tech people.

Right know I am in a holding pattern and have not applied update 1 to my machine.

CQ

NC_John
Level 2

So, forr information, I upgraded to Update 1 then did a full backup. I am able to see all the files but have not done a restore but see no reason why it should not work. I also did a boot from my recovery disk and am able to see all the HD files.

John