Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backing when the source is a network drive in other host

Rexix
Level 2

Hi, is my first message, but not last.

my scenario is:

- i need backing the information are in a host of my network.
- the Backup System Recovery not allow backup when the source is a network drive or shared folder.

i need know some plugin or add-on or one product of symantec that supports this functionality.

thank you very much for your responses.

PD: Sorry, for my bad English.

Rexix

6 REPLIES 6

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please refer to the following technotes

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO13639 : About destination options for recovery points

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO13648 : Creating recovery point destinations

Thanks,

-Sush...

Linas
Level 6

I used this to backup usb drive attached to desktop

I don’t know if this will work but I don’t see why not

As long as the drive letter is the same it should work

How to fool BESR2010MS

Simple really

It seems the only thing stopping you from backing it up is being able to select the drive letter

On my workstation my USB drive is drive L and on another Workstation we needed to backup there G drive

So I set up a work station and I partitioned a drive with the corresponding drive letters

I needed to backup G and L

So when I created the backup policy drive G an L is in the list of drives to backup

Scheduled the weekly backup and it works

Rexix
Level 2

Hi LInas,

Thanks for your response.
not understand, when i created the partitions in hard disk local, then change the drive letter of the partition and mapping one network drive with the same letter. so you are saying??

wait for more replies.

thanks,

PD: Sorry for my bad English.

Linas
Level 6

You just need to have the drive letters on a managed client

Let say your shared drive letter is H

You can not create a backup policy for drive H because no managed client has a physical drive H

But if you create a partition on a physical drive on a managed client

You will be able to create a policy to backup drive H

Backup will only backup physical drives Sata IDE or SCSI

USB and Mapped drives it will not backup

But if you have a policy to backup drive H it will try regardless as to what drive H is

Rexix
Level 2

Hi Linas, thanks for your response.
Ok, now i understand

But my problem is that i have not managed clients, why my source backup is a shared folder in a NAS Device.

so i need backing the shared folder, to have a backup scheme efficient and reliable e.g.: with Backup Exec System Recovery. Taking incremental recovery points for the shared folder.

it´s my idea.

there some product of symantec that helpme with my need?

Wait for your response...

Thanks,

Linas
Level 6

BESR2010 is designed to backup desktop and server operating systems and drives and to recover them

To backup NAS not sure there should be something from the manufacturer of your NAS

Or Backup Exec might work fooling drive letter as far as I can go to try to back up the share