Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disaster recovery of hyperv server and VM

ges87
Level 5

VSR version is actually 21

OS version WIN 2019

My server running hyperv has suffered the breakdown of the main Hard drive. I need to restore the OS partition and all VM

The drive was partitioned as follows

C for WIN2019 - system

D for VM VHDs

I have an image of C, but I do not have an image of D, rather I have a separate image for all VMs.

Now, I will need to start by restoring partition C for the OS, booting with VSR recovery environment. After that, how shoudl I proceed for VM?

Should I boot in the recovery environment and restore all VHDs, one by one, bootiung them in recovery environment?

Or is there a way to convert VSR image to VHD that can be plugged back directly to VM?

In the case I need to restore al VM by booting in recovery environment, I rememebr in the past I did this one time, and there was a problem that a second UEFI boot record was then listed in the VM profile, how do I avoid that? This is first time I need to restore a VM

11 REPLIES 11

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

We do it like this: Create an empty VM, boot the SRD and simply restore that latest recovery point.

but this means losing all VM settings plus hardware id I think...

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm not necessarilly I think. In case the configs are stored on C and only the VHDs on D...

akihiro1
Employee

I understood that you have C drive image that was backed up by VSR on Hyper-V host and the image for VMs that were backed up by VSR on each VM.

First, please restore C drive for Hyper-V host after booting from a SRD on the host.
And create D drive and format it.
Next, a new VM needs to be manually created on D drive using Hyper-V manager on the host.
After that, boot from a SRD in the new VM and restore images for each VM.

Hi

yes I restored HyperV and it works fine.

Hyperv VM configurations were stored on C, so they are saved, but of course they can't start as the VHD were on D, that was not backed up.

I tried to restore a first VM by using "start virtual conversion". Result was very fast (12 minutes), but the downturn is that the conversion modified the image, removing some devices, like virtual network adapters. I understand that this happens because virtual conversion is designed to restore a physical PC on a VM. Then I deleted the restored HD and restored the VM as suggested, works fine.

Why not including an option in virtual conversion to convert "as it is", to be used not to convert physical machines to VM, but to restore VM more easily? Is much more machinery to restore 10 VM one by one by booting, rather than running a virtual conversion job.

I am now restoring another VM, and I got a problem

the image set is incremental, with a backup every 4 hours, and optimization every 24 hours I think. So it is normal that The backup path does nto include all incrementals in sequence, as some are deleted when optimizing.

However, when I try to restore this VM, that has a signle HD with 4 partitions, and I select the sv2i file, I get an error message, saying that it cannot find the incremental backup number 26 for a certain partition (but not for the other 3)

In the screen where partitions ar elisted then, I get 3 partitions listed, but 3 correctly display destination: disk 1 and backup: 3 days ago, listing the incremental backup number 31. The problematic one, for which it was saying that it could not find incremental 26, instead, lists destination: none, and last backup: 151.XXX days ago, where XXX is a 3 digit numebr I don't remember right now.

I am trying to recover it now by selecting partitions one by one, I will use an older backup for the problematic partition. I have no idea why this happens though....looks like a problem with the image set...

ok, I finished restoring everything. I am checkign if everything works. 

So far the only problem I realised are 2:

1)The Windows RRAS server does not seem to be able to authenticate clients anymore...

Any idea why this might be happening? Some trust/certificate that got broken once restoring? I get (translation from italian):

"remote connection denied. Username/password combination not valid, or the selected authentication protocol does not allow access tothe remote server."

was working before the breakup...

2)Some VM now show "select OS to boot" instead of just starting up the OS. There is only one option that can be selected of course. This is a problem, cause unless there is a timeout, VM will not boot OS automatically on restart. How to remove this?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Regarding problem 1: Maybe you have to re-authorize the RAS server?

For problem 2 have a look here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/changing-the-boot-menu-time-out

thanks for problem 2

for problem 1, seems like the machine is not correctly joined to domain, in fact if I try to run gpupdate &force i get an error

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Can you re-join the machine?

this is something that needs to be done on site. Will let you know