cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

options to select while recovering SRD CD

beachcomber
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I've got a server (IBM Eserver 8645 4AX) with 2 drivers (C: --> system and D: --> Data), and a complete backup of them such as :

LabServer_C_Drive001.v2i
Labserver_C_Drive001_s01.v2i
LabServer_C_Drive001_i001.iv2i...

LabServer_D_Drive001.v2i
Labserver_D_Drive001_s01.v2i
LabServer_D_Drive001_i001.iv2i...

I'd like now to recover the 2 Recovery Point Sets, onto another server (IBM Eserver 8646 5AX), which has an empty hard drive.

Using the Recover my Computer wizard, I chose the 2 last incrementials recovery points for a full recovery.

Here are the options I selected for the C: Drive :

*Check for file system errors after recovery
*Set drive active (for booting OS)
*Restore original disk signature
*Restore master boot record

For the D: Drive, do I have to select the 2 last options, although I've done it for the C: Drive ? I mean, restoring original disk signature and MBR have to be done for each drive or just once ?

I'm not sure of the solution, I don't want to do something wrong that could blow up the hard drive

Thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AJT
Level 6

...only appears if your are restoring to the exact same hardware and disk, it will not appear it your are restoring to a different disk and/or dissimilar hardware.

PS: If your are restoring to same disk and hardware and do not see the Domain Trust Token option, you should be OK if your recovery points are fairly recent, less than 1 month one. I like to recommend less than 2 weeks old, but newer the better :)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

beachcomber
Level 3

AJT
Level 6
If drive d is going to separate disk, then select restore disk signature. Restore MBR is only for OS drives. You only need to perform restore disk signature once per disk.

beachcomber
Level 3
The two original C: and D:drives are 2 partitions of one disk and will be restored to one disk.
Does that mean that restoring original disk signature and MBR are not necessary for the D: drive ?

AJT
Level 6
That's correct, but doesn't hurt if restore disk signature chekced for drive d.

beachcomber
Level 3
I 've got one more question : I'm using BESR855_AllWin_Multilingual_SrdOnly.iso, burned on a CD.

But I can't find anywhere something about "Preserve domain trust token on target drive"
I have got the last version 8.5.5, but I'd to know if someone knows about this option.

Thanks in advance

AJT
Level 6

...only appears if your are restoring to the exact same hardware and disk, it will not appear it your are restoring to a different disk and/or dissimilar hardware.

PS: If your are restoring to same disk and hardware and do not see the Domain Trust Token option, you should be OK if your recovery points are fairly recent, less than 1 month one. I like to recommend less than 2 weeks old, but newer the better :)

beachcomber
Level 3
Thank you very much AJT, this is eactly what I needed