cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

support for windows 7 and windows 208 R2

giorgiobusoni
Level 5
I have migrated a virtual machine using windows 2008 and BESR 8.5 to winodws 2008 R2 and BESR doesn't work anymore, i checked the forum and i found out that windows 7 is actually not supported, and then i think 2008 r2 isn't too. When are windows 7 and 2008 r2 going to be supported? is there a release ay of the new version/patch?
9 REPLIES 9

criley
Employee Accredited
They will both be supported with the next version of BESR which is being released very soon. As far as I know, there will be no support included in 8.5.

Dan_Davis_2
Level 3
No offense intended, but I use that on my supervisors...'soon, real soon'.  Except, that my 'soon' is generally a matter of a few days.  In AT&T's case regarding MMS support, it was months.

Can you 'roughly' quantify your 'soon'?  Being a Volume License customer of Microsoft, we were allowed to begin deploying Win7 in August.  We've only deployed to a handful of desktops, but that puts those systems in disaster's path without our safe-t net.  I do desire a quality product over a rushed sack of bugs.

Thnx,
-Dan

AJT
Level 6
It's coming soon :)

criley
Employee Accredited
Dan Davis 2:

No offence taken. BESR 2010 ships on 2nd November.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Dan -

BESR 2010 has been officially released and is available for download. If you have any questions about it, there is a PDF user's manual inside the install package.

vpa
Level 3
Trial version can be downloaded, it's true, but we have no keys to upgrade for our full versions and new link to FileConnect.

criley
Employee Accredited
vpa,

Please contact customer care for issues with licensing/FileConnect:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_information.jsp

ashton_har
Level 4
Partner
It seems strange that Symantec doesn't grant automatically an upgrade license from 8.5 to 2010 (while they did from 8.0 to 8.5)

ioniancat21
Level 5
I think Symantec's take on BESR 2010 is that it's a full version upgrade, rather than an update like it was going from 8.0 to 8.5. I guess the sad reality is that there should have been two upgrades; one for v8.5 to address compatibility with Windows 7 and Server R2 only, then offer the 2010 version as a separate second upgrade option as this version includes the Granular Restore option, which is an add-on with v8.5.

On the bright side, hopefully individuals who purchased a license for 8.5 recently will get the upgrade for free. Now, what Symantec regards a "recently purchased" is the question. I'd say in fairness, a range of up to 3 months before the release date of BESR 2010 sounds about right in my opinion.