cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 3600 R2 two update systems?

michadar5
Level 4

Hallo,

One of our customers bouth 3600 R2 and i see i have two live update systems.

One thru web gui and one thru appliance live update. Is this live update systems runs separately (for exemple web gui update system show no windows and no appliance updates while live update system from remote admin show updates for backup exec appliance)??

ps.I have also question why i can't use local admin logon as ".\administrator" It's confusing when i must use remote credentials for servers in form "server name\administrator".

Regards

michadar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Just to summarize this and wrap this

For updating Appliance way to update is

Recommended way is to browse to: Manage -> Appliance ,click check and download updates

To update backup exec to sp1a or any hotfixes the way to do is

Under live update menu (Installation and licensing>Live Update)

Thanks

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Please note few important things here,

1 Recommended way is to browse to: Manage -> Appliance ,click check and download updates

2 If updates are found, navigate to "Schedule Updates" page and click on Install Now or else you can scjedule update installation

3 We support only local administrator.. and so you have to login using "administrator"

not sure if it will work with .\administrator

Hope that helps
Thanks

michadar5
Level 4

Hi

- If i type administrator without server name (it works if i use for example server1\administrator) i got Credential Status "Test failed".

It's problematic if i have for example 100 servers

- If recomended way to get updates is thru manage>appliance why Symantec left update mechanizm thru Installation and Licensing>Live Update.

When I clicked Live Update i downloaded 300MB additional updates..

Thanks!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Q

If recomended way to get updates is thru manage>appliance why Symantec left update mechanizm thru Installation and Licensing>Live Update.

When I clicked Live Update i downloaded 300MB additional updates..

Ans

The other option which you have described here will be updating backup exec 2012 version and not the appliance version so the only option is described by me above 

Hope that helps.

Thanks

michadar5
Level 4

;) So Why Symantec has left this mechanism in appliance version (The attached screen) ?

Regards

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

As described earlier that will help you to update the Backup exec 2012 with any service pack or any updates but to update the Recommended way is to browse to: Manage -> Appliance ,click check and download updates

Hope that help and clear your confusion now

Thanks

michadar5
Level 4

Hi

Ok so aplliance isn't Backup Exec 2012 + Windows 2008?

I understand what you're saying but it's not quite answer my question ;)

As I understand I shouldn't use Backup Exec live update menu, even if it is this position?

Have you ever configured this device? ;)

Thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Yes I have configured the device and yes the one posted in your snap will only help to update your back exec.

Hope that helps

Thanks

michadar5
Level 4

Ok if that help me update only backup exec and recomended update way help me update entire application (backup exec + system), why when i used recommended way to download and install updates (and i see info that i don't have updates to download) i I still see new updates for backup exec under live update menu (Installation and licensing>Live Update)? 

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Just to summarize this and wrap this

For updating Appliance way to update is

Recommended way is to browse to: Manage -> Appliance ,click check and download updates

To update backup exec to sp1a or any hotfixes the way to do is

Under live update menu (Installation and licensing>Live Update)

Thanks

michadar5
Level 4

And this is the complete answer, thank you.
So I have to update both applications from one menu and backup exec from another menu.

Thanks