cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d will not load tapes from autoloader

rob2576_2
Level 2
Hello,
I have downloaded 11d trial and installed it per the dirrections given in the included .pdf.  I have the software installed and then used the wizard (Device Configuration Wizard) to install drivers and setup the Robotic Library.  I have a Powervault 124T (Certance drive with 2 - 8 tape autoloaders).  I can see the drive just fine as well as all of the slots.  An inventory reads my bar codes just fine as well.

Now for the problem.  Nothing works beyond an inventory.  It seems as though the tape drive is not being loaded from the magazine.  I only know this because if I manually put a tape in the drive slot, it works perfectly.  It just gets stuck there when it needs to move to another tape.

I tried calling tech support, but I was told Symantec doesn't support trial versions.  Any help would be appreciated as I think Backup Exec is the software for me to use, but I will never be able to buy it if I can't get it working first.

Thanks,
Rob

2 REPLIES 2

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I tried calling tech support, but I was told Symantec doesn't support trial versions.
We will support a trial version, you just have to purchase a 1 time support contract.

When you try to run a backup to the library, can you check the event logs to see if there are any errors coming from the library?  Also what status does the job sit in after you start it?

rob2576_2
Level 2

Thanks blipsey,

Just before reading your post, I figured it out.  Turned out that there was a tape in the drive the whole time.  When BE was installed and the drivers added, I mentally lost track of this tape and the software and hardware didn't show it as being there.  Neither the hardware or software for the powervault would eject anything for some reason so I never thought of this as being the issue.  I took a guess that there might be one in there after auditing my tapes and manually forced the drive to eject.  Out came the missing tape and everything is now working perfectly after another restart.  Weird.

Thanks for your response.  I am looking forward to kicking the tires on the new BE.