cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12.5 crashes G6 HP server with ASR instantly as the backup starts Windows 2008 Sp2

Westholme
Level 3
Hello,
I am posting here in the hope someone can help with an issue I am combating.

The senario is as follows:
HP DL360 G6 Server with Windows 2008 with SP2.
This server is a DC and nothing else (no SQL or Exchange).
Its running Symantect Backup Exec 12.5 with all the auto updates.

The problem is sometimes when the backup job runs the server just stalls.
The server has all the latest firware and patches and HP have swapped the motherboard.
It doesn't happen all the time and just when you think its fixed it crashes again with an ASR in the Ilo log.
The backup job records 0 bytes and an error of E0008821.

I've been googling and I've seen issues with VSS or backing up the system system state.

Has anybody anything they can add to this?
Is there a specific MS patch for this? I can't be the only person with this issue?

Many Thanks
Richard
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

ASR is configured through the HP Systems Management Homepage. With a G6 server, you should be using PSP 8.20 and above, so you would do it as per below...

Open it up, log on using your credentials, and then Check for the System block. It will only show a couple of options, so select the option to Show Additional Items.
Once done, you will see a selection for Automatic Server Recovery. If you're unable to select ASR there, you will need to do it through the BIOS.

ASR only kicks in when the system detects a potentially serious problem, and restarts the server to prevent any issues causing damage.
Did you add any new hardware to the system before the error started coming up?

Laters!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Westholme
Level 3
Anybody have any ideas with this issue?
Thanks

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
It appears that ASR is trying to run at the same time Backup Exec is trying to do the backup.  Have you attempted to change the time of ASR or disable ASR to see if that resolves the issue? 

CraigV
Hi there,

ASR is configured through the HP Systems Management Homepage. With a G6 server, you should be using PSP 8.20 and above, so you would do it as per below...

Open it up, log on using your credentials, and then Check for the System block. It will only show a couple of options, so select the option to Show Additional Items.
Once done, you will see a selection for Automatic Server Recovery. If you're unable to select ASR there, you will need to do it through the BIOS.

ASR only kicks in when the system detects a potentially serious problem, and restarts the server to prevent any issues causing damage.
Did you add any new hardware to the system before the error started coming up?

Laters!

CraigV
Also look at upgrading your ProLiant Support Pack to the latest version...you could have a hardware conflict.

CraigV
Hi Richard,

Any news here?