cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12.5 problems connecting to 2003 r2 sp2 server

andres_ponce
Level 2
Hi,
I'm new to backup exec and have recently finished setting it up for the first time.
Everything is working fine except for this one server which I'm getting a strange problem with.
Its a 2003 r2 server thats in the same domain as the server where i got BE 12.5 installed.
The remote agent is in place and BE recongizes this. However when I browse for this particular server i get this error:

An error was encountered while attempting to browse...
A network connection to the server could not be established.

The firewall is off on both servers, and the strange thing is that when i turn on the firewall on the 2003 r2 server
I can browse the server, but it only shows the shared folders on the server which i cant choose for backup.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Sounds like a bit of corruption of the RAWS agent on that server.
Remove it, and then do a push installation (done from your selection list --> browse to your server, right-click it and choose: Install Remote Agent...). Once done, check and see if this has resolved it.

Laters!

Dev_T
Level 6

Try moving one of the Overwritable media to scratch media and lets check if it pickups the media from the scratch media set.

andres_ponce
Level 2
Tried Removing, rebooting and then doing a push installation and i still get the same error.

Checked the debug monitor and got 2 interesting outputs

BEREMOTE: [06-22-10 14:24:10] [0000]     [4792] 06/22/10 14:24:10 Could not resolve the "bews-ndmp" or the "ndmp" service, error code: 10109, using port 10000

and

BEREMOTE: [06-22-10 14:24:10] [0000]     [4792] 06/22/10 14:24:10 ndmp_writeit: ErrorCode :: 10054 : An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

andres_ponce
Level 2
I've made some progress on the matter and i can now browse the servers i had problems with.
Instead of browsing the servers on the favorite resources tab i entered the ip addresses on the user defined selections tab.
I can now browse the servers and i can see all the sections i expected to find, the only problem is that it takes quite some time to browse the contents
of these servers, compared to the ones i got under favorite resources.

But when i ran a backup job it completed and it got a satisfying average speed on the job.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Mmm...not sure why I didn't think of that. I use IP addresses to avoid any DNS issues...have you checked to make sure DNS is healthy via nslookup?